Can't Keep Fish Alive

ogeissinger2303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This is my first post on this forum. Unfortunately, I seem to struggle to keeping fish alive in my tank. I have gotten my water tested many times, and the parameters are always fine. My coral is all healthy too, it just seems to be the fish. Instantly, they swim into my cave or behind the rock away from flow and everything. And then they slowly stay there until they die off.
They seem to rapidly breath and then die. I have had multiple species (clown, firefish, cardnial fish) and they all seem to have this problem. If anyone can give me insight on what could cause death to my fish, but have my corals and water perameters completely unbothered I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This is my first post on this forum. Unfortunately, I seem to struggle to keeping fish alive in my tank. I have gotten my water tested many times, and the parameters are always fine. My coral is all healthy too, it just seems to be the fish. Instantly, they swim into my cave or behind the rock away from flow and everything. And then they slowly stay there until they die off.
They seem to rapidly breath and then die. I have had multiple species (clown, firefish, cardnial fish) and they all seem to have this problem. If anyone can give me insight on what could cause death to my fish, but have my corals and water perameters completely unbothered I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
What are your parameters

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on little to no info, assuming your LFS is competent the first thing that comes to mind is oxygen. How much surface movement do you have?
Would corals still be happy in a low oxygen environment? Or do they utilize the oxygen produced from photosynthesis

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!
How are you acclimating? Whats the flow like? I had this issue with my nano, figured it is probably lack of oxygen in the water so added an air stone. Ive had a pair of coral banded shrimp in there two weeks now. This might be whats up with your fish too?

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? You say your fish breath rapidly and go and hide and die. Rapid breath can be a sign of , or stress. In case you have a disease you have not identified in your tank, wait 6 weeks before trying new fish again.
How are you acclimating them? Temperature, PH and salinity, it might be quite different from where you bought your fish from.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without much information on the tank, we can’t really say what it could be however I’m also leaning towards it being low Oxygen.

mryan04290

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without much information on the tank, we can’t really say what it could be however I’m also leaning towards it being low Oxygen.
Hi there I’m one of his friends he has a 14 cube with a HOB filter. I have access to test for dissolved oxygen and I’ll attach my test below all parameters that could be tested with a YSI proDSS sonde all looked fine I’ll tell him to post his other parameters sometime today
IMG_5095.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there I’m one of his friends he has a 14 cube with a HOB filter. I have access to test for dissolved oxygen and I’ll attach my test below all parameters that could be tested with a YSI proDSS sonde all looked fine I’ll tell him to post his other parameters sometime today
IMG_5095.jpeg
7.15mg/l is raised (ideally you should have 6.4-7.0mg/l of Dissolved O2) so if anything there’s possibly too much Oxygen.

Ammonia could be an issue given its a 14G cube, and he’s tried to add several large species of fish for that tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back