OP
reefkeeperros

reefkeeperros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say buy or rent a par meter. Without testing for par, you're just guessing at lighting levels. I'm not too familiar withe the Red Sea 90 lights but, I can't imagine you're getting very even lighting with w 'spotlights' over a 4 foot tank. You might be cooking things right under the puck and starving things for light a foot away. Consider supplementing with t5 or adding more fixtures, particularly for acros. I would think plating montis should be fine with those lights. Keep your alk (between 7-8) and calc (between 400-450), and very stable. Clean up crew for algae problems. If things are really bad, think about trying a sea hare. They're algae eating machines. Be prepared to rehome when the tank is clean. Personally, I wouldn't spend too much on acros until you get things like montis, birds nests, pocillopora and stylophoras growing well.

Matt
Thanks man, I will deffinetley get a par meter and check my lights.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this, I will definitely try all this, already doing some of it. Only thing is if I'm ordering I doubt I'll get the response for their water parameters will the drip aclimation of about 40-60 min be enough to get them somewhat used to my parameters? I'm really rarely ordering as I have an awesome guy locally who's got some sick corals so I get like 90% of him.
If you have a local guy you're good. For shipped stuff, I just won't order until I know what their water is like. I am at that point where I order expensive stuff so I must know in advance who I can order from. Most of the big online vendors are pretty close together on numbers. At least the numbers they publish :).

To me, the "Big 3" parameters are ALK, NO3, PO4.
I don't drip corals like we do fish. I temp acclimate, and then let them rest for a while before dipping.

gilman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seneye is good for taking PAR . Ive had a seneye and an apex par meter and they were equal in reading .

OP
OP
reefkeeperros

reefkeeperros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update if any of you guys are still following, I think that you guys who said that the light might be the problem were right, moved few corals that lost colour lower and in a bit darker spots and one of montis stopped bleaching and it has started colouring up again, one of the acros is doing noticeable better, nothing else changed alk 7.2 cal 460 mg 1400 no3 .25 po4 0.03, still can't get the par meter due this corona chaos so will have to hold on to get my par readings, can't thank enough to all of you that helped me with this but won't be getting any sps any time soon until I see they are growing and get my par reading, I'll just stick to my favourite zoas THANK YOU

OP
OP
reefkeeperros

reefkeeperros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another victim or? had this acro for about 2 months now noticed this white spots 2 days ago.... rest of sps I had same time still ok, coralline kicked off as well about 2 weeks ago all over the back and bottom glass parameters rock solid. Something munching on it maybe? Sorry for bad pic this is the best I can get

20200417_014857.jpg 20200417_014825.jpg 20200417_014815.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back