Can't seem to keep Frogspawn

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried the Euphyllia in a few spots. Same result. I recently added a Duncan coral, My first two died and my Third Duncan went from two heads to ten heads in about 2 months. Exact same location. So frustrating.
Could just be from acclimating to the light. Some handle stress hard and some go through stress like a breeze

twreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calc at 480 sure seems high. Acclimate slowly. My euphyllias all seem to love my tank, while Xenia just dies off.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my calcium at 470 and mine do great. 3 new heads on my hammer in the past 3 months. Frogspawn doing great as well

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LUCKY!
I have cyano in the front of my tank...like maybe 4-5 inch strip.
I use Red sea coral pro. It takes much longer to mix up than instant ocean does but I like it better. IME I dont have salinity ups/downs even though I have a small system.
Also, it keeps my parameters stable. I do a 5 gal WC 1x a week religiously-on my 25 gal system. I do it right before lights shut off for the night and in the morning, I dont see any "effects" on the corals.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, Maybe its just that your system cant support it.
I accepted that I cant grow torch corals LOL I can barely grown hammers but everything else grows like crazy.

Iballhog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think corals release some type of chemicals like a scent. Let's say each of those mushrooms is emitting a little bit of drakkar noir, the more you have the stronger it gets. Certain corals don't mind the drakkar, they may even emit a simaliar scent. While other corals in this case like Frogspawn can be sensitive to drakkar and too much could inhibit growth and even kill.

Nice looking tank.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think corals release some type of chemicals like a scent. Let's say each of those mushrooms is emitting a little bit of drakkar noir, the more you have the stronger it gets. Certain corals don't mind the drakkar, they may even emit a simaliar scent. While other corals in this case like Frogspawn can be sensitive to drakkar and too much could inhibit growth and even kill.

Nice looking tank.

LOL!!! Thanks for breaking it down like that. Gave me a good laugh but I totally get it.

Thanks, my tank is my pride and joy, but frustrating at times. I need to learn how to take pictures of it. Android phone camera. The photo I posted sucks.

Alexcyf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked if the frogspawn was infested by flatworms ? In my experience, flatworms are e most common and deadly reason for euphyllia loss. Could be solve with periodic dips to get rid of the worms.

image.jpeg

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nice looking tank.

If I remember correctly, Euphyllias are particularly sensitive to chemicals released by softies, especially toadstools.
Do you run or have you tried running some carbon?

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked if the frogspawn was infested by flatworms ? In my experience, flatworms are e most common and deadly reason for euphyllia loss. Could be solve with periodic dips to get rid of the worms.

image.jpeg
Thanks for the photo. Didn't see any flat worms, but definitely keeping my eye out for them. Thanks for the tip. I was dipping everything in Bayer per instructions I've seen on the forums. Just got a bottle of Coral Rx for future Corals.

OP
OP
Scubabum

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly, Euphyllias are particularly sensitive to chemicals released by softies, especially toadstools.
Do you run or have you tried running some carbon?
I've been running BRS rox Carbon mixed with BRS GFO in a Reactor for about 6 months. Only about a 1/4 cup each, changed out every two weeks. Do you think I should run more? 58 gallon tank.

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that should be enough. Rox is strong stuff
It was a shot in the dark. I had a Frogspawn that grew like a weed. Easily a foot+ in diameter. Then one day, for no reason that I could track down, over half of the heads detached from the skeleton in 24 hours. LFS called it " polyp bailout". Continued it's decline till the only thing left was calcium reactor media.
It was an interesting looking skeleton though.
Hope you can figure it out . They are eye-catching corals that can fill in a lot of real estate in a short period of time .

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There must be something going on in your tank because your brain coral is really bleached. By what you've listed nothing really screams out at me. In 20 years have you ever siphoned out the sand bed and put a fresh one in?

For photos turn down the blues, turn up the whites (not sure if you can on Kessil?) Then on your phone change he white balance settings to "cloudy". You'll get a half decent photo this way. You can buy amber filters for the lens too which help a lot more.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you acclimated the coral did u do any changes to the light? It is ideal to start off by low light and ramp it up over a few weeks. That way the coral can acclimate properly and doesnt bleach and stress it out. Its better to brown a coral then bleach since if it browna you just turn up the light and bleaching ia more harmful

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpeg

Omg craziest flat worms ever! @Lionfish Lair you gotta see those!

At the op... Brown jelly happens it's aggressive bacteria and ime you won't save any euphillia that last any heads to it. I had it in my system and it took out quite a few hammers torches and the like. I believe... And complete speculation on my part, that it is a combo of something being a little off and bacterial takes a hold as well. But i don't believe that it is any type of bacteria that is not common in everyone's tank. Just happened to have all the factors correct for the coral it killed at that time. Just like stn/rtn with sps.

My brown jelly actually first appeared on a huge green birdsnest. Still have it due to fragging off some small pieces. But things are wrong and i lost some hammer colonies to the jelly as well. Once i got water quality repaired things stopped dying. Other euphillia that was in the tank at the same time lived on. I have several euphillia still with no issues.

You should test Ca, it could be your issue. Anything under 370 hard corals will begin to die.

chuck3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll likely be the contrary voice here... but I wouldn't overanalyze your water parameters. I've kept frogspawn for 15 years... under PC, halide, and LED lighting, and in my experience, they don't like a tank that's too perfect: Not too 'clean' (they like organics in the water column)... no too much light (they're easily scorched)... not too much flow (their interior skeleton is a series of really sharp ridges that will cut up the fleshy parts with an amount of flow that's fine for torches, grape, etc. like a series of knives, cutting their way from the inside out. Even the boss at my LFS, a really quality operation with 40+ years of experience, recently almost killed one of the frags I gave them by putting it in their display tank with flow sufficient for SPS. Whereas the heads in his low-flow 'for sale' tank were doing just fine.) Frogspawn also seem to really appreciate having an active refugium as part of your system. If you're in the greater Los Angeles area (I live in the San Fernando Valley) I'd be glad to spot you a couple of heads of purple tip frogspawn... plus one of my really nifty orange-tipped frogspawn, as long as you're willing to drive. I haven't got any ability to ship. Hope this helps...

Chuck

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll likely be the contrary voice here... but I wouldn't overanalyze your water parameters. I've kept frogspawn for 15 years... under PC, halide, and LED lighting, and in my experience, they don't like a tank that's too perfect: Not too 'clean' (they like organics in the water column)... no too much light (they're easily scorched)... not too much flow (their interior skeleton is a series of really sharp ridges that will cut up the fleshy parts with an amount of flow that's fine for torches, grape, etc. like a series of knives, cutting their way from the inside out. Even the boss at my LFS, a really quality operation with 40+ years of experience, recently almost killed one of the frags I gave them by putting it in their display tank with flow sufficient for SPS. Whereas the heads in his low-flow 'for sale' tank were doing just fine.) Frogspawn also seem to really appreciate having an active refugium as part of your system. If you're in the greater Los Angeles area (I live in the San Fernando Valley) I'd be glad to spot you a couple of heads of purple tip frogspawn... plus one of my really nifty orange-tipped frogspawn, as long as you're willing to drive. I haven't got any ability to ship. Hope this helps...

Chuck
Orange Tipped frog spawn. I need this. Is it frog spawn or octo spawn? This is octospawn...

orangefrogspawn10.jpg

leejames333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
I have just recently purchased 2 medium sized frog spawns. Both were what I would call 'in shock' when they were placed in my 200ltr tank. I placed them low in the tank in a darker corner at the front of the tank so they weren't getting the full intensity of my Dalua Mantra Coralblue LED's. For about 4 weeks they were totally withdrawn and closed up to the point where I thought they were not going to make it. But, with some perserverence and patience they have opened right up and are so healthy and thriving now.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back