Cant tune my vertex omega 130

Spiderguardnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been up about 3 weeks with 1 fish and feeding mysis everyday

So should i just shut down the skimmer till I add more fish or just let it run?

bgallagher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow... Relax... You won't see results any time soon with that small of a bio-load. I'd just let it run and over flow until it settles down eventually. I have 3 fish, 2 shrimp and 31 coral frags and I'm just now getting good dark frothy skim consistently.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned BK , ATB, and now JNS , none overflowed from the start. Breaking in yes but within 24 hr it was fine.

bgallagher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty common with this particular skimmer from everything I've read. Mine overflowed for a few days before I decided to give it a diluted vinegar bath.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JNS EM 300 worked out the best for me . That's partially because the other two may have been oversized. The JNS hasa smaller neck which keeps the foam head more consistent

bgallagher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JNS EM 300 worked out the best for me . That's partially because the other two may have been oversized. The JNS hasa smaller neck which keeps the foam head more consistent

I had originally planned on buying an Aquamaxx Cones-1 before I bought the Vertex but it was sold out everywhere I looked.

bgallagher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of the video?

Sorry... Had to read back thru the post. Looks like your almost there. Close the water level tube a bit to bring the water level up in the skimmer body. Take your time and do it in small increments.

Side note - has your water exhaust tube always pointed at the glass like that? Doesn't it cause overflow issues with the back pressure?

BillyTheGoat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply been stressing
So I should be adjusting little by little over days?
I was turning it a lot lol I gues that was my issue I didn't do it slowly

What causes the foam to fall way below the neck?

My foam is on the top of the skimmer cup maybe I'll turn it down a little
Did you ever get your 130 working? I'm feeling like giving up. Just overflows constantly.

Spiderguardnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get your 130 working? I'm feeling like giving up. Just overflows constantly.
Yes I did it worked for me after I let it run in 50/50 vinager solution for 8 hours then rodi for 4 hours
Try that it helped mine lot

ReEfnWrX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all else fails or you get tired of messing with it in a few months get a life reef, dialed mine in 3 years ago and have never touched it since :)

LokiDawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reefing.. Just started my reefer 170 last week. Started the vertex omega 130 2 days ago. It barely fits.. And all it does is overflow.... The sump is within range of working properly.
All it does is overflow and spew micro bubbles from the outlet. It is messing my return pump up.
I unplugged the self cleaner to drain water back into the sump.
I dont have anything but sand and rock right now.
A few questions:

Does it really take 2 weeks to marinade??
I have pvc and was going to make a stand with egg crate.
Is it too big??
I plan to have a high bioload..
I'm running carbon right now incase the epoxy for the rockwork is messing with it.
How long before I concede, sell it and get a different brand?

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reefing.. Just started my reefer 170 last week. Started the vertex omega 130 2 days ago. It barely fits.. And all it does is overflow.... The sump is within range of working properly.
All it does is overflow and spew micro bubbles from the outlet. It is messing my return pump up.
I unplugged the self cleaner to drain water back into the sump.
I dont have anything but sand and rock right now.
A few questions:

Does it really take 2 weeks to marinade??
I have pvc and was going to make a stand with egg crate.
Is it too big??
I plan to have a high bioload..
I'm running carbon right now incase the epoxy for the rockwork is messing with it.
How long before I concede, sell it and get a different brand?
Yes some skimmers can take a few weeks to break in but not usually. Do give it at least several days to wash out the production oils if you did not pre clean it in a vinegar bath before installation.
I would put it on a stand till the skimmer is broken in and the system itself has had time to mature. After everything has settled in you could lower it in small increments till you find where the skimmer likes the best depth.
No idea if the skimmer is too big ( don't know what a reefer 170 is size wise) with nothing but sand and rock there is little for it to skim.
Epoxy will most likely upset the skimmer so that would be expected.
Vertex skimmers are well regarded and I almost went that route myself. As I recall the 130 was particularly finicky, I think it is slightly overpowered air/water wise if I remember correctly which made difficult to get set-up especially if your new to skimmers. If you give it time and get it set-up right it should be a truly excellent skimmer.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back