Cap top or bottom of bulkhead?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fatmike92
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fatmike92

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
4,888
Reaction score
4,487
Location
Columbus, ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you cap the top or bottom of bulkheads.

Guy at savko (local plumbing store) said bottom but I feel like I should cap the tops
 
I capped the top. It made more sense to me
 
I use threaded bulkheads and install a threaded plug in both sides so one or the other can be removed at a time if I decide to use it in the future without having to drain the system.
 
I agree with you thinking that you would want to cap the top. The pressure of the water is pushing the cap into the bulkhead that way, versus trying to push it out the other end.
In reality, you are probably just as or more likely to have a leak around the bulkhead itself than through the cap. The nuts do tend to loosen over time. Maybe a tiny drop of silicone or something to "lock" the nut in place? I know that isn't recommended typically, but as it isn't something you are going to be fiddling around with for a long time, maybe worth a thought.
 
Way ahead of you! Ya I tightened the caps all the way then put a bead of silicon around that. And then placed them in a put a bead of silicon around that
 
Never use silicone on PVC, there are compounds designed specifically for PVC such as LaCo Plastojoint sticks. Did you read my sticky thread post on bulkheads?
 
ahhhh very nice ill definitely have to look at this differently
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new