Capacitor for PFO 400 Watt HQI

NitrateKillah

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2020
Messages
223
Reaction score
92
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

So I been doing some homework, apparently common failures are ignitors and capacitors. So open my MH ballast tonight, and discovered the part numbers, I was not able to find the capacitor. I assume it has to be the white plastic bottle looking thing, but it has no numbers and looks to be concealed.

Anybody know to the part number to this?



IMG_2647.JPG
 
Hey All,

So I been doing some homework, apparently common failures are ignitors and capacitors. So open my MH ballast tonight, and discovered the part numbers, I was not able to find the capacitor. I assume it has to be the white plastic bottle looking thing, but it has no numbers and looks to be concealed.

Anybody know to the part number to this?



IMG_2647.JPG
I think you researched in the wrong direction. The parts you mentioned are used in Heating Ventilation , and Air Conditioning
 
I think you researched in the wrong direction. The parts you mentioned are used in Heating Ventilation , and Air Conditioning
This is a an old school metal halide ballast.
 
Is the magnetic ballast 1 core or 2?
I run 400 watt halides and I have all the different ballast.
The ignitor is the black tube and the white is the capacitor.
M59, M135, and an S51 are types of magnetic ballasts used on the 400.
 
Is the magnetic ballast 1 core or 2?
I run 400 watt halides and I have all the different ballast.
The ignitor is the black tube and the white is the capacitor.
M59, M135, and an S51 are types of magnetic ballasts used on the 400.
Its dual, so its 2 core. Do you know the part number to the capacitor? Or the proper replacement if ever needed?
 
Its dual, so its 2 core. Do you know the part number to the capacitor? Or the proper replacement if ever needed?
2 core is a S51 HPS ballast. They are considered hqi ballasts.
I can run euro bulbs on them. Most bulbs require a M59 or M135
Probe or pulse start.
The S51 pulls more watts, 464 on mine vs 445 on a electronic and 425 on the correct magnetic.
I will go take a pic for you. I have a new one in the box. Be right back.
 
Last edited:
2 core is a S51 HPS ballast. They are considered hqi ballasts.
I can run euro bulbs on them. Most bulbs require a M59 or M130
Probe or pulse start.
The S51 pulls more watts, 464 on mine vs 445 on a electronic and 425 on the correct magnetic.
I will go take a pic for you. I have a new one in the box. Be right back.
Yes, it has the ability to run 20K raidums. It very apparent they run very hard, hence, needing parts.
 
The current Radium 20K, I have a few, run on M135 or an electronic.
The old Radiums needed the hqi.
Your ballast is for euro bulbs. I run mine on electronic and have seveal dozen euro bulbs.
The new Radiums from what I have read will be over driven and not recommended on the hqi.
Giesemann sells a 14K designed for that ballast. I have a few on order.
 
The current Radium 20K, I have a few, run on M135 or an electronic.
The old Radiums needed the hqi.
Your ballast is for euro bulbs. I run mine on electronic and have seveal dozen euro bulbs.
The new Radiums from what I have read will be over driven and not recommended on the hqi.
Giesemann sells a 14K designed for that ballast. I have a few on order.
Thank you bro! where did you order your cap? That is very disappointing that new Radiums will not be over driven. My luck on finding old Radiums is worthless at this point? So I need 14K Giesemann for my HQI ballast? Got it!

Have you notice the difference with electronic 20K Radiums? is it still pretty? how does it compare with 14K Giesemann on HQI?
 
Thank you bro! where did you order your cap? That is very disappointing that new Radiums will not be over driven. My luck on finding old Radiums is worthless at this point? So I need 14K Giesemann for my HQI ballast? Got it!

Have you notice the difference with electronic 20K Radiums? is it still pretty? how does it compare with 14K Giesemann on HQI?
If your going to run it just buy the kit for parts. I will look for the cap.
20K Radiums look nice on the digital or M135.
The Digital pulls 30% more par than the M135.
I run Ushio 20K BLV's on mine.
I Have Giesemann 12
5K marines.
Both can be run on the S51.
I have not tried theRadiuns on the S51 but I will go see. I have a stand alone fixtures setup for testing.
I do not have the G14K's yet.
I have 7k, 10k, 12.5k, 14k-chinese,
20K.
I liked the look of the Ushio 20k over the Radium.
20260831_140654.jpg
 
If your going to run it just buy the kit for parts. I will look for the cap.
20K Radiums look nice on the digital or M135.
The Digital pulls 30% more par than the M135.
I run Ushio 20K BLV's on mine.
I Have Giesemann 12
5K marines.
Both can be run on the S51.
I have not tried theRadiuns on the S51 but I will go see. I have a stand alone fixtures setup for testing.
I do not have the G14K's yet.
I have 7k, 10k, 12.5k, 14k-chinese,
20K.
I liked the look of the Ushio 20k over the Radium.
20260831_140654.jpg
Nice setup! Didn't think Electronic call pull 30% more! I thought only HQI have that ability to overdrive. I do not know much about electronic ballasts.

30% more from electronic is standard on the ballast? Thank you again!
 
30% more par than the M59 and M135.
Thats running my electronic on the SL setting. 400 setting is the same par as the magnetic.

I am upgrading my S51 with a
high output ignigtor. This is the one I have. Only good for old Radiums and euro bulbs. It is said to give the correct color when used.
20260830_064121.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new