Only reason I said that is because you mentioned ignitorsThis is a an old school metal halide ballast.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Only reason I said that is because you mentioned ignitorsThis is a an old school metal halide ballast.
All good, I didn't know what an ignitor was, didn't know it exist in HVAC. Are they common failures also?Only reason I said that is because you mentioned ignitors
In HVAC yes they light the furnace or water heater or gas stoves as an exampleAll good, I didn't know what an ignitor was, didn't know it exist in HVAC. Are they common failures also?
The ignitor is there just to fire the lamp. Some euro bulbs require a higher voltage/ignitor to fire.All good, I didn't know what an ignitor was, didn't know it exist in HVAC. Are they common failures also?
Those would be different from the device that will initiate a mh arc.In HVAC yes they light the furnace or water heater or gas stoves as an example
Those would be different from the device that will initiate a mh arc.
It takes a big burst of high voltage to strike the arc then it levels off. And it’s difficult to reinitiate the arc if the lamp is already hot, that’s why mh take a few minutes of cooldown before they’ll restart. IIRC an igniter is just a big capacitor that discharges to strike the arc.
The capacitor in the OPs photo is a 240v 55 microfarad capacitor. You should be able to match something up at an appliance supply house, or Grainger. A higher voltage rating is also ok just never
I have no idea what you are referring to NITRATEKillah was asking what an ignitor was in the HVAC business . That was all I said when he referred to his research in his first post , and mentioned them. I informed him that he might be getting himself confused, and to look for what he was really after. I have no knowledge of what you guys are discussingThose would be different from the device that will initiate a mh arc.
It takes a big burst of high voltage to strike the arc then it levels off. And it’s difficult to reinitiate the arc if the lamp is already hot, that’s why mh take a few minutes of cooldown before they’ll restart. IIRC an igniter is just a big capacitor that discharges to strike the arc.
The capacitor in the OPs photo is a 240v 55 microfarad capacitor. You should be able to match something up at an appliance supply house, or Grainger. A higher voltage rating is also ok just never lower.
