Captive bred Mandarins by Biota

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with the new captive bred mandarins that Biota is putting out? They claim that they eat frozen and pellets. The price is a little high at $80 per fish, but I'm all about conserving the ocean. I just ordered one.

tomxreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with the new captive bred mandarins that Biota is putting out? They claim that they eat frozen and pellets. The price is a little high at $80 per fish, but I'm all about conserving the ocean. I just ordered one.

Where can I order one?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the source. My wife would love a pair, but with shipping I am probably looking at probably $250 for two mandarins. I think ORA abandoned it because of the cost. Compared to my local price it is probably triple the price on a relatively cheap fish. I am all for the captive bred marine fish and can justify the increased cost, but I would think most consumers standing at their local fish store seeing what is to them the same fish with drastically different prices might be a turn off. I think that is where it comes down to the retailer educating their customer base which is hit or mis. Especially for the people just "looking".

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you can order off Algea Barn's website. I'm curious as well. Even ORA seems to abandon the captive mandarin.

https://www.algaebarn.com/product/biota-captive-bred-green-mandarin/?attribute_size=Medium+1-1.5"

I couldn't find that on their site last week, I'm thinking they just updated it. I do remember the ora captive bred ones. I remember my lfs getting a bunch and none of them were eating frozen or pellets at the store. Hopefully these will be different

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend won a pair at MACNA, and they are now in our seahorse tank. Honestly, they are way to small to even watch and see what they are eating. They are fat and healthy looking, but teeny tiny.

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the source. My wife would love a pair, but with shipping I am probably looking at probably $250 for two mandarins. I think ORA abandoned it because of the cost. Compared to my local price it is probably triple the price on a relatively cheap fish. I am all for the captive bred marine fish and can justify the increased cost, but I would think most consumers standing at their local fish store seeing what is to them the same fish with drastically different prices might be a turn off. I think that is where it comes down to the retailer educating their customer base which is hit or mis. Especially for the people just "looking".

You would be at $230 for a "bonded" pair with shipping. Pretty expensive compared to probably $60 at your lfs. I don't mind doing my little part in conversation though. I'll keep you updated when they come in.

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish came in today. Packaging was very good, and they came with some free pods and phytoplankton.

These guys are tiny. Maybe 1". They seem to have decent weight. It certainly not fat.

All settled into quarantine.

tqpolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish came in today. Packaging was very good, and they came with some free pods and phytoplankton.

These guys are tiny. Maybe 1". They seem to have decent weight. It certainly not fat.

All settled into quarantine.

Nice! Looking forward to see how it eats.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny since ora has been breeding them for years...yet nobody seems to remember that...also the same gaurantee since they are captive bred...pellets or mysis also the price is less than 1/2 of biota...but good job getting the captive breds over the wild caught....we need to keep them in the ocean, too many die between catching them and getting them to a tank.

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny since ora has been breeding them for years...yet nobody seems to remember that...also the same gaurantee since they are captive bred...pellets or mysis also the price is less than 1/2 of biota...but good job getting the captive breds over the wild caught....we need to keep them in the ocean, too many die between catching them and getting them to a tank.
Whats really funny is ORA stopped breeding them a long time ago. :)
I talked to them during macna and they said the main issue was getting them to "sale size" took too long and was not cost effective.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats really funny is ORA stopped breeding them a long time ago. :)
I talked to them during macna and they said the main issue was getting them to "sale size" took too long and was not cost effective.
That's funny, they had them in the tank at MACNA and they still offer them for sale on their price list to buy....

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny, they had them in the tank at MACNA and they still offer them for sale on their price list to buy....
I should have worded it differently. They are not selling them. They did have some at the show, but try to find a vendor that is selling them. She said they still have the pairs, but are not selling as of right now.

OP
OP
Ross

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do remember the ORA captive bred mandarins from several years back, but I haven't seen any for sale in a long time. My lfs couldn't get any either. As far as I know these from Biota are the only captive bred mandarins being offered for sale right now, but I could be wrong. No one gets into the hobby because its cheap, you gotta pay to play. I don't mind shelling out $80 for a fish if it helps even a little bit in conservation. I'll keep yall updated on their condition, I may try to feed some frozen or pellets in the AM.

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do remember the ORA captive bred mandarins from several years back, but I haven't seen any for sale in a long time. My lfs couldn't get any either. As far as I know these from Biota are the only captive bred mandarins being offered for sale right now, but I could be wrong. No one gets into the hobby because its cheap, you gotta pay to play. I don't mind shelling out $80 for a fish if it helps even a little bit in conservation. I'll keep yall updated on their condition, I may try to feed some frozen or pellets in the AM.
I couldn't agree more. I would have had to buy my girlfriend the pair if she didn't win them. I spend hundreds on sps frags, so how could i say no. I would recommend using the PE tiny pellets, mine seem to be picking at them, but as i mentioned before, it is very hard to see because of their size being hidden in the tank.

Back