captive bred vs wild

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side post from my earlier post this morning about my 12 year old wild caught clown passing away, it led to a little thinking from my wife. She now wants to get a black storm to pair with my male clown. which the storm is obviously captive bred and bred and bred some more until they get those color patterns they are looking for. So her question is, will they have the same life expectancy as say my wild caught occelaris clown, longer or shorter life?

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knows there is so much morphing with clownfish. Personally I think the wild or less genetically altered ones act more naturally so might have longer lives as well. My clarkii has never sat in the top corner or overflow but also kills any male I put in the tank. I think black storms only came out 5 or 6 years ago. Anyone have any for a few years here?

OP
OP
joe0813

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knows there is so much morphing with clownfish. Personally I think the wild or less genetically altered ones act more naturally so might have longer lives as well. My clarkii has never sat in the top corner or overflow but also kills any male I put in the tank. I think black storms only came out 5 or 6 years ago. Anyone have any for a few years here?

I also think the wild caught act way more natural.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side post from my earlier post this morning about my 12 year old wild caught clown passing away, it led to a little thinking from my wife. She now wants to get a black storm to pair with my male clown. which the storm is obviously captive bred and bred and bred some more until they get those color patterns they are looking for. So her question is, will they have the same life expectancy as say my wild caught occelaris clown, longer or shorter life?
I don't see any reason why cpative bred don't live as long if not longer so long as you feed them right. My experience with captive bred is they come in much healthier, adapt to tanks far faster, and eat tank foods much better. On top of that they tend to hide far less. Think about it like this. We've been breeding dogs for millennia but they still have the same life expectancy except for the very large breeds.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with captive bred is that they don't hide, but also are complete idiots. They grow up in a sterile tank. They are moved from one glass box to another. It's entirely possible that the first time they even see a rock is when they arrive at the LFS. I have a pair now that do not hide, but I don't think it's because they aren't scared - it's because they don't even realize they can hide. They live in a hole they dug in the sand. It's kind of absurd actually.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back