Coloration on captive bred purple tangs

tangs123tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just added a captive bred purple tang to my tank. He is about 1-1.5 inches. Been in tank for 4 days now. Very active, eats food I give him, including nori
I have just noticed that his coloration is a bit flat. Not a vibrant color I’ve seen on other purples. Is this just a feature of him being very young ? Or is it because he’s captive bred ? Does his coloration and body pattern improve as he gets older ??

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just added a captive bred purple tang to my tank. He is about 1-1.5 inches. Been in tank for 4 days now. Very active, eats food I give him, including nori
I have just noticed that his coloration is a bit flat. Not a vibrant color I’ve seen on other purples. Is this just a feature of him being very young ? Or is it because he’s captive bred ? Does his coloration and body pattern improve as he gets older ??
I dont have captive bred purple but my adult was super dull when I added her and she colored up after about a week and a half when she was comfortable! I do however have a captive bred baby yellow, he was so dull when he came for about 2ish weeks. But he is super bright now, so maybe thats the case with your purple??

The one of the yellow in the bucket is when I first got him vs now, the other two are of the purple cause her color changes with the lights too (shes a HLLE rescue I got from my LFS so thats why she has the pale stripes)

Attachments

• IMG_2289.jpeg
    IMG_2289.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2216.jpeg
    IMG_2216.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2189.jpeg
    IMG_2189.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
T

tangs123tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply ! Yes since I posted this thread my little purple has become more vibrant. His body a brighter purple and tail now more yellow as well. He has gotten a little bigger as well. Overall a great fish in the tank. These guys grow pretty fast. I got mine when he was about 1 inch total in size and he is now around 1.5-2 inches in just about 6 weeks.

Interesting you mentioned captive yellow. I thought about getting one but decided against it as I heard they don’t get as colorful as the Hawaiian ones, and also their white stress lines are somewhat permanent.

What has your experience been? Your yellow looks great in that picture.

I dont have captive bred purple but my adult was super dull when I added her and she colored up after about a week and a half when she was comfortable! I do however have a captive bred baby yellow, he was so dull when he came for about 2ish weeks. But he is super bright now, so maybe thats the case with your purple??

The one of the yellow in the bucket is when I first got him vs now, the other two are of the purple cause her color changes with the lights too (shes a HLLE rescue I got from my LFS so thats why she has the pale stripes)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply ! Yes since I posted this thread my little purple has become more vibrant. His body a brighter purple and tail now more yellow as well. He has gotten a little bigger as well. Overall a great fish in the tank. These guys grow pretty fast. I got mine when he was about 1 inch total in size and he is now around 1.5-2 inches in just about 6 weeks.

Interesting you mentioned captive yellow. I thought about getting one but decided against it as I heard they don’t get as colorful as the Hawaiian ones, and also their white stress lines are somewhat permanent.

What has your experience been? Your yellow looks great in that picture.
Yeah I havnt seen that as permanent with my guy! I do give my tangs selcon, another vitamin and soak the food in garlic. So that might also help his color! He is like a little highlighter in my tank! I recommend one for sure, got mine from biota.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back