C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! I have news to report. The folks at RWU emailed back:

"They sometimes lose them early in grow-out, a few weeks after we move them from the larval tank. We don’t exactly know why. We had a few batches where this occurred. Most of our fish haven’t had this issue. The good news is that the older fish we have that lost their dorsal fin grew them back, but it takes a few months. "

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a follow up email I asked why only females. They replied:

"They take 6-9 months to develop the male coloration. We move them out when they are about 4 months."

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing official, But most likely don't want keep Aquarist from breeding their own? Again this is just speculation as to why. Before CB started to come to the hobby males where limited. So there might be another reason is there are fewer produced. Hopefully your email will share more light on the true reasons....

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing official, But most likely don't want keep Aquarist from breeding their own? Again this is just speculation as to why. Before CB started to come to the hobby males where limited. So there might be another reason is there are fewer produced. Hopefully your email will share more light on the true reasons....
The response to my email is posted above.

If I’m not mistaken the breeding requirements for these are quite tricky and not practical for home aquariums. I could be wrong so I hesitate to get specific but I thought I read somewhere that they actually have a developmental phase that required them to be grown at increased pressure (as would be the case for a larval stage that grows at depth).

I REALLY dont think this has anything to do with keeping other people from producing. I understand where the idea comes from: in many animals where new traits are discovered, breeders don’t sell males so that they can maintain profitability for a longer window. This is certainly the case in the reptile world, where ball python breeders identify new phenotypes and only sell female animals so that their competition doesn’t buy a single male to breed to a dozen females, saturating the market. But again, I very strongly feel that the situation with yasha gobies is quite different. They are not ball pythons or even clownfish (which are easy to breed).

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got another response from RWU. Sounds like a new batch that have intact dorsal rays is being shipped to distributors very soon.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, most Gobies are hermaphrodites and I’m pretty sure that’s also with yasha gobies, so if you buy two females and put them in a tank you will almost always have a pair
I would love to get my yasha another but idk what gender it is so, if I drop in another female idk of war would break out (Its been in there for 6 months)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are such beautiful fish, I love the long dorsal‘s. As others have said, usually that means male like in most other fish species. - kali
image.jpg
here’s a longfin yasha - I assume male

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, most Gobies are hermaphrodites and I’m pretty sure that’s also with yasha gobies, so if you buy two females and put them in a tank you will almost always have a pair
I would love to get my yasha another but idk what gender it is so, if I drop in another female idk of war would break out (Its been in there for 6 months)

There are a lot of other threads about this, but it seems that although many gobies can switch, members of the Stonogobiops genus cannot.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are such beautiful fish, I love the long dorsal‘s. As others have said, usually that means male like in most other fish species. - kali

This is NOT the case. in other species perhaps. Both male and female yashas have long fins. The dimorphism is a black spot as mentioned above.

OP
OP
C

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
here’s a longfin yasha - I assume male
I would not assume this. The long fin is not indicative of it being male. This has been pretty well established. There are bonded pairs on live aquaria right now (both with long fins) if you are interested in seeing first hand.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not assume this. The long fin is not indicative of it being male. This has been pretty well established. There are bonded pairs on live aquaria right now (both with long fins) if you are interested in seeing first hand.
it has a dominant black dot on its dorsal fin but also none on its anal fin (I don’t think)
I remember where the long fin but comes from:
Dragonets and some blennies have larger dorsal fins for males but smaller ones for females

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back