Captive Raised Purple Tang

Sabra616

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 25, 2020
Messages
65
Reaction score
72
Location
CSRA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is not for sale. I am a fish nerd and want to share this with fellow fish nerds. 🐠

My Purple tang, named Xanthur, purchased from Surge Marine Life in July 2025 has a soft yellow band running from the top of the dorsal to the base of the tail. When I received the fish, that part of the fin was opaque and I assumed color would develop over time. It did but presented as yellow in color. The fish is roughly 10 months old and the yellow started to appear at ~7 months old.

I reached out to Owner/Operator Kevin Barden at Surge Marine Life and he has not seen this before. I did some research and found it has been documented that some specimens in the Red Sea had yellow or orange on the dorsal. This lead me to ask if the brood stock were from the Red Sea and they were–which I found interesting. I have attached images here. I will gather more over the next months and include updates on if the color reverts, changes, or stays the same.

In addition to Xanthur, I have a Hippo tang (also from Surge Marine Life) and both fish are fantastic and healthy!

Thank you to Kevin at @SurgeMarineLife for allowing me to share this special tang with the R2R community.

Sabra616-R2R_Purple-Tang_1.2026.png Sabra616-R2R_Purple-Tang-2_1.2026.png
 
Here is a short video from today.
 

Attachments

  • Sabra616-R2R_Purple-Tang_1.2026.mov
    17.5 MB
This photo was taken July 9th. I believe this is the day I received the tangs. In this photo you can see what I was referencing to in stating the dorsal was opaque where the yellowish developed. 🧐
 

Attachments

  • Sabra616-R2R_Purple-Tang3_1.2026.PNG
    Sabra616-R2R_Purple-Tang3_1.2026.PNG
    480.5 KB · Views: 103
Short video shot in between storm prep. I apologize for the poor camera work.

Good luck to all in the path, we are fueled up and ready to go. 🥶
 

Attachments

  • Sabra616-R2R_Purple-Tang_2.2026.mov
    26.7 MB
Happy Birthday month to Xanthur. The yellow is still there. Enjoy!
 

Attachments

  • Sabra616-R2R_Purple-Tang-3_6.2026.MOV
    41.1 MB
very cool looking, wondering if it is a genetic anomaly?
 
Zanthur is growing and growing, the yellow is still there. The tank gets some great natural light this time of year. Here are some videos of zanthurs color in the natural light. Enjoy! 😃
 

Attachments

  • Sabra616-R2R_Purple-Tang-5_4.2026.mov
    35.3 MB
  • Sabra616-R2R_Purple-Tang-5_4.2026.mo.MOV
    18.5 MB

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new