Captive Sizes / Growth Rate of Large Angels?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I wonder what are the sizes / growth rates of most large Angels in captivity? I’m mostly talking about the smaller end like the Genicanthus, Apolemichthys, Regals etc. but would also love to know for the Pomacanthus, Holacanthus. What tank size would you say is needed for a fully grown pair of the smaller large angel species like the Genicanthus, Goldflake, Regals, Majestic etc.? (Considering for a future upgrade)

There’s this Six Bar Angel in France that was 41 years old (not sure if still alive) that topped out at 12” though the max size for this species is said to be about 18”. The maximum size for Regal Angels, Goldflakes, Majestics is also listed at about 10-12”, 6-7” for smaller Genicanthus and about 9-10” for Lamarck’s.

I know Zebrasoma Tangs usually don’t reach their Wild sizes in captivity. Maybe it’s the same with larger angels?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I wonder what are the sizes / growth rates of most large Angels in captivity? I’m mostly talking about the smaller end like the Genicanthus, Apolemichthys, Regals etc. but would also love to know for the Pomacanthus, Holacanthus. What tank size would you say is needed for a fully grown pair of the smaller large angel species like the Genicanthus, Goldflake, Regals, Majestic etc.? (Considering for a future upgrade)

There’s this Six Bar Angel in France that was 41 years old (not sure if still alive) that topped out at 12” though the max size for this species is said to be about 18”. The maximum size for Regal Angels, Goldflakes, Majestics is also listed at about 10-12”, 6-7” for smaller Genicanthus and about 9-10” for Lamarck’s.

I know Zebrasoma Tangs usually don’t reach their Wild sizes in captivity. Maybe it’s the same with larger angels?
I did a study years ago that took all of the fully grown fish I had at my facility and compared those sizes to the maximum size listed on fishbase.org - the results were that they averaged 66% of that size. There were some angels in the group, but many other species as well. I now use 80% of the fishbase maximum for the size I expect a fish to reach in captivity.
Jay

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smaller of the large angels like regals will do fine in a 6 foot 125 gallon. The adult pomacanthus angels look uncomfortable in anything less then 8 foot long tanks IMO.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just got a one inch lamarcks and will be donating him to a good home. once he gets bigger, but I doubt he will ever reach 9”. I’ve never seen a lamarcks that big

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah think they can get to that size in the wild but maybe 9” is like a record in the wild.
Fishbase lists 9.5" total length for a record male. That includes the caudal streamers, multiply that by 0.8 and that gives 7.6" TL, which I have seen in captivity.....

Jay

marin8n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raised a juvenile emperor angel from about 2" to close to 9" in a 300gal tank. Took about 2.5 years to fully morph. One of the larger adults I have seen in captivity. I attribute it to lots of frozen food/variety, and the larger tank size.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update on my emperor and some transformation timeline.
Apr 2019
3856B7BD-5778-4CA3-9F1A-9E3AB75BE4CD.jpeg

dec 2019
72A33728-03C7-4086-A55E-2B006BF7D868.jpeg

Mar 2020
6C6EAC97-389C-4680-8C3D-DE99E9483545.jpeg

Dec 2020
B4E5EFF2-9BE0-4C6B-87AE-90E95D74C811.jpeg

June 2021
96E37D7B-95C4-4E0A-9AA0-809E38F17F60.jpeg

Today
4661EC1E-4F47-4FE8-9B84-DAD052155A40.jpeg

He’s obviously doing good transition in full swing. Some people think they look strange during transition but I think it’s my favorite look of this fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishbase lists 9.5" total length for a record male. That includes the caudal streamers, multiply that by 0.8 and that gives 7.6" TL, which I have seen in captivity.....

Jay
To me, I think that the max size of most of the genicanthus angels brought into captivity are in the 7-8” range. I just did that calculation on G. melanospilos and it gave 7.2”. Mine is 4” and growing at the slowest rate I have seen anything grow (Even my wrasses are faster than this).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, what’s the largest Majestic or Regal, maybe Asfur one’s seen in captivity? I see max size for Majestic from 10-12”.
I did the calculation on the magestic Angel and if it’s correct, he should stick around the 9-10” mark in captivity,
For the asf ut they should stick around the 12” mark and for the Regal they should stick to around 7”-9.5”
This is just a rough guess as to what size these fish will get using the max size x 0.8 and to me it’s actually pretty close since I have seem magestics close to 9” and regals around 7”.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Do you think he can fit in your 210 permanently? Is it a 7 foot tank?

I also see you have two wrasses, are they both Thalassoma?
So far, from looking at the photos I am able to answer half the question - Couldn’t find the second wrasse you are on about but if you mean the photos of Dbichler’s emperor, I can see one wrasse is a juvenile/female Thalassoma lucasanum - Cortez Rainbow Wrasse.
After going into the build thread, I saw the wrasse you were on about (I assume) and that is Ghomposus varius - the Green Bird Wrasse. Theirs is still female though (I can’t say for sure if it’s juvenile).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A list of the most common angels people keep with that we assume is the max captive size could help with new people that have an Angel so we could use this thread to help along with the Angel version of the wrasse lovers thread (I can’t remember the name of the thread).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back