OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got bamboozled!

Same, I appreciate white light shots way more!

Btw, still have the Orphek.... ;Smuggrin

Leaving tomorrow morning for a trip to Ireland for my wife’s birthday...hoping the tank will be good for 9 days while I am gone! My in laws are staying at the house and watching the kids, so at least they will get fed more than pellets.

PANONHAS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are you liking the Orphek OR. Is there anyway you can take a picture with only that light on. I know it will probably be all washed up because of the UV. I’m debating on purchasing one and wanted to get your opinion. Did you have the Leds customized or is it their UV light bar?

Thanks

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, still have the Orphek.... ;Smuggrin

Leaving tomorrow morning for a trip to Ireland for my wife’s birthday...hoping the tank will be good for 9 days while I am gone! My in laws are staying at the house and watching the kids, so at least they will get fed more than pellets.
Cool, I'll just knock one the door and say you were holding lights for me. [emoji48][emoji48][emoji48]

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the Orphek OR. Is there anyway you can take a picture with only that light on. I know it will probably be all washed up because of the UV. I’m debating on purchasing one and wanted to get your opinion. Did you have the Leds customized or is it their UV light bar?

Thanks

I had the spectrum customized. The actinic shots above are a good representation of how it looks.

I had this pattern repeated 4 times for the OR120:

460 - Royal Blue
410 - UV
460 - Royal Blue
490 - Cyan
460 - Royal Blue
430 - Violet
460 - Royal Blue
410 - UV
460 - Royal Blue

This takes the best of the sky blue and best of the UV bars and blends them into a nice actinic bar. The Cyan increases usable light to help brighten up the tank a tad so it doesn’t look like it’s just a black light.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I've been awful at keeping this updated!

Tank is doing well. I'm running at 300ml per day of ATI Essentials 3-part, and about to switch to the Pro as I'm on the last few days of the 3-part now. A few weeks ago I decided to do a bit of a re-scape, as I was having some trouble with flow and a tall mound of rock near the middle of the tank. I need to get some updated pictures on how it looks now, but you can't see all of the caves and intricacies of the new scape in pics.

The big news for me though, is I got the green light to add a big frag tank!!! Unfortunately, there is absolutely zero room for one near the display, so it's going to have to be a separate system. Because of that, I'm not sure if I should setup a different thread for that tank, or just combine it here??

Anyways, some details on the frag tank:
- 48"x36"x10" Modular Marine Frag tank with built-in external overflow
- another 80/20 aluminum stand and light rack
- 36"x24"x16" Modular Marine sump similar to the icecap 36 XXL design with a few modifications. ATO will be built-in
- Apex EL for control
- COR20 return pump cause they were on sale
- Vertex Omega 150 skimmer I got used locally for cheap
- dual cO2 scrubbers
- MP40QD
- gyre 230 from the existing sump frag section will be moved over
- XR30 gen 3 pro from existing sump frag section will be moved over, and another will be added at a later date
- experimenting with Kamoers new bluetooth dosers as a cheaper/quiter option to the DOS, so using 2 of those for dosing ATI essentials pro when needed

Going to try and keep this simple with the above equipment. Just going to use a skimmer for export as I have nutrient issues already in the display and figure no fuge may help for this tank that will likely have much fewer fish.

I'll follow up with some pics soon!

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D6125540-39FF-4FED-94AE-65AE7A791B39.jpeg

F89EAA80-42B4-4875-B828-18885B8ADDA0.jpeg

0E75254D-4D42-43C2-B231-D0B40E9F841B.jpeg

2669F91F-5F69-450F-84C0-08BF2B14ADF7.jpeg

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I found that the 10 series 80/20 is just a little too lacking in strength to leave the stand alone, so I’ve got some more support on the way. I had about 2mm deflection with the tank half full and about 50lbs of Rock in it...probably still safe but I didn’t like it.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on all in 1 thread.
I would love to set up a frag tank once. But then only that tank. I am not the multiple tank guy.
Just love the look of those shallow tanks.

Actuallykimhansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all wow!!! that's one beautiful setup !! second, i am to dealing with ostreopsis and i was wondering how long you did your blackout, and how long you kept the uv going, i got a 36w jebo for my 20g system ;P maybe a little overkill but how did you start to tackle the dino and what would you say helped you out? i don't want to mess up your nice build thread with these question but i would really much appreciate it if you would help me out <3

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all wow!!! that's one beautiful setup !! second, i am to dealing with ostreopsis and i was wondering how long you did your blackout, and how long you kept the uv going, i got a 36w jebo for my 20g system ;P maybe a little overkill but how did you start to tackle the dino and what would you say helped you out? i don't want to mess up your nice build thread with these question but i would really much appreciate it if you would help me out <3

For a quick answer, I did I think 3 different 3-day blackouts and ran the UV filter for about 6-weeks.

No more sign of them, just some green algae I can’t seem to kick.

I’d go into more detail but literally the whole family is sick right now. Even though I didn’t see @bubbaque, I’m gonna blame him for it since it feels just like what his family had a month ago!

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a quick answer, I did I think 3 different 3-day blackouts and ran the UV filter for about 6-weeks.

I’d go into more detail but literally the whole family is sick right now. Even though I didn’t see @bubbaque, I’m gonna blame him for it since it feels just like what his family had a month ago!
That doesn’t sound very fun. I never been that sick in my life so I hope your family doesn’t end up with it!

Actuallykimhansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cheers buddy ill get, to it! hope you feel better soon

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back