Agape1love4ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody!

I’m starting to dose Carbo Calcium.
I understand how to measure and mix with RODI water but I wasn’t sure if I’m to add the whole dose all at once or if I should add it little by little throughout the day. Any help would be much value and appreciated.

OP
OP
Agape1love4ever

Agape1love4ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't overthink it. Just throw it into the water and mix.
Oh, so to clarify, what I mean is I’ve already mixed the solution together. What I want to know is if I can go ahead and start dosing the whole amount into my reef tank all at once, or if I should drip it in a little by little through out the day?

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, so to clarify, what I mean is I’ve already mixed the solution together. What I want to know is if I can go ahead and start dosing the whole amount into my reef tank all at once, or if I should drip it in a little by little through out the day?
Do you try to restore the consumption of several days or just the regular daily dose. I'm using a dosing pump for my carbo calcium solution but if I didn't I would put in the daily dose at once. If this is your first time dose you can split it in portions, but as long as you're only restoring 1-2 KH there should be no issue. At least there were none for me.

OP
OP
Agape1love4ever

Agape1love4ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. So pretty much if I go either route of dosing it all at once, or letting it drip in throughout the day, the same affect will take place.

OP
OP
Agape1love4ever

Agape1love4ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is your daily alk demand?
My alkalinity demand is not that much. It’s dropping about .1 per day. But I think it’s gonna pick up within the next month or two because I have added more corals that will consume the calcium and alkalinity in my tank and that’s why I was thinking ahead and wanted to dose carbo calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alkalinity demand is not that much. It’s dropping about .1 per day. But I think it’s gonna pick up within the next month or two because I have added more corals that will consume the calcium and alkalinity in my tank and that’s why I was thinking ahead and wanted to dose carbo calcium.

Once a day is perfectly adequate for that demand, maybe even once every 2 days. AFR naturally spreads out the alk release since it requires bacterial action to release it, so even at 0.5 dKH per day, once a day in the AM is fine.

OP
OP
Agape1love4ever

Agape1love4ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a day is perfectly adequate for that demand, maybe even once every 2 days. AFR naturally spreads out the alk release since it requires bacterial action to release it, so even at 0.5 dKH per day, once a day in the AM is fine.
Awesome. Thanks for the response.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back