carbon doser bubble count

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi i just gotten this unit, i tried to set the pressure to 5 psi and i set the 1 sec 1 bubble, the output is always 4 bubbles 1 second . is it due to too much pressure or did i do anything wrong ?

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is adjustable from 4.66 bubbles per second all the way down to 1 bubble per 10 seconds, where is the knob turned to? Seems to me the knob needs to be turned back to get the one bubble per second you are looking for. The pressure knob just increases the size of the bubbles not the speed of them.

OP
OP
D

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am still trying to figure out why i set at 7 sec 1 bubble i still getting 3 sec 3 bubbles

anyone can help ? IMG_6282.jpg IMG_6281.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6283.m4v
    10 MB
OP
OP
D

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I know but the full tank psi is at 1000.l for the cylinder but when I set it at 1 psi . It is running at 4 bubbles at 7 sec .

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 psi is too low, you have to overcome the pressure inside the reactor.
I need 4 PSI or more. Don't you have any pressure inside your reactor?

OP
OP
D

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the funny thing I can see bubbles coming out even though it is at 1psi.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the PSI up to about 12 and get a full cylinder. If there is any liquid in the cylinder, it should be around 800 PSI.

OP
OP
D

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the PSI up to about 12 and get a full cylinder. If there is any liquid in the cylinder, it should be around 800 PSI.

and ?? I tried that before and it kept getting 4 bubble per 7 sec

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often is the little red light blinking? You should be able to time it with a stopwatch and hear it click open and closed. It should match the dial with one click every 7 seconds.

and ?? I tried that before and it kept getting 4 bubble per 7 sec
It sounds to me it is operating correctly and injecting CO2 every 7 seconds like the dial is set but you are using a bubble counter and finding that each cycle is injecting enough gas to produce 4 bubbles in your counter. With the carbondoser you shouldn't be using a bubble counter.

Did you also use the check valve supplied with the carbondoser? Is this a new setup or are you replacing an old regulator on a functioning system and trying to match the output of this one with the old one?

OP
OP
D

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have timed it with a stop watch and it is 7 sec and have been using the check valve provided .it is a brand new one

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's working properly. I found in my setup I need 5psi on the low side to counter the pressure in my reactor. Mine is setup in the basement one floor down though. With the carbondoser you don't need to count bubbles in a bubble counter. The carbondoser will let a set amount of CO2 through each click based on the pressure on the low side. Once it is set it will not change.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how to know whether there is pressure in my reactor ???
It would depend how you are supplying water to the reactor and controlling water flow through it. I wouldn't worry too much. You said you were getting 4 bubbles on the counter every time the carbondoser activated at 5psi. So keep the pressure set there and go from there. Are you trying to get a certain bubble/second setting on the bubble counter?

Usually with a carbondoser you dial it in based on tank alkalinity measurements once the water flow is set through the reactor. Test your alkalinity each day at the same time and if it's dropping then you need to up the pressure a hair and/or shorten the delay on the carbondoser. If alkalinity is going up then less pressure/more delay (if the pressure is too low though then no CO2 will go through the check valve). Ideally you want to hit the proper pressure and timing so the alkalinity stays the same from day to day. Once it is stable on a daily basis you adjust the current alkalinity, Ca and Mg levels in the tank to your targets via supplemental dosing. Then you should only need to periodically test to keep an eye on it. Over time you will have to make minor adjustments to the bubble timing as the corals grow and use more on a daily basis.

It is brand new setup
Ah ok! How are you currently maintaining Ca and Alk?

Can you go over the rest of your calcium reactor setup? Is there a pH probe in the reactor?

OP
OP
D

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my thinking was that if it is 1 sec 1 bubble then it should be that on the bubble counter that came with the Vertex CR that i am currently using

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my thinking was that if it is 1 sec 1 bubble then it should be that on the bubble counter that came with the Vertex CR that i am currently using
Ah I see.. well the carbondoser is giving you 1 bubble each time it opens and closes.. it's just that the bubble has enough CO2 to produce 4 smaller bubbles when it goes through the CR bubble counter. So if you look at that way and are trying to produce 1 bubble/sec through the counter then set the carbondoser to 4 seconds and you will have 4 bubbles every 4 seconds or 1/1

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back