Carbon dosing algae??

JUSKIDN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m carbon dosing with vinegar using 20ml. Spreaded out over 12 hours with a dosing pump on my 60 gallon tank and seems to be be lowering my PO4 and NO3. I’ve been doing this for the last month or so. Is it normal to see this algae with carbon dosing? It’s showing up the next day after a cleaning. These pics are after 2 days post clean. I’ve never had the algae until I started with the vinegar dosing.

IMG_8556.jpeg IMG_8555.jpeg

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not refer to that as algae without a better picture. Not sure what it is (cyano? dinos? diatoms?), but carbon dosing would not be my recommended way to deal with cyanobacteria since it can really consume added organics, and organic carbon dosing often spurs cyano.

OP
OP
JUSKIDN

JUSKIDN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some better pics of the algae with my parameters over the last 4 days. I never had any of this algae problems until starting the vinegar dosing and I’m thinking I was better off without it just doing more frequent water changes to lower nitrate and phosphate. lost my foxface yesterday and my flame angel today, they have been in there 1.5 years with no problems. I’m currently doing 15% water changes every two weeks on this 60 gallon. So to stop the carbon dosing I’ve heard not to just stop cold turkey but just taper down. Would do you think that rate should be. I’m at 20ml daily spread out over 12 hours. Also is the carbon dosing increasing CO2 that could have lead to the two fish deaths?

Attachments

• IMG_8563.jpeg
    IMG_8563.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8561.jpeg
    IMG_8561.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8562.jpeg
    IMG_8562.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 25

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back