Carbon dosing and Copper

DanTheShark

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 21, 2025
Messages
80
Reaction score
23
Location
Tampa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to carbon dose (ie. vinegar, nopox) a qt tank with therapeutic level of chelated copper? Running protein skimmer as well.
 
Is it ok to carbon dose (ie. vinegar, nopox) a qt tank with therapeutic level of chelated copper? Running protein skimmer as well.
While you can, I don’t recommend it as coppersafe has elements that can break down
 
Im using copperpower if that makes a difference
 
Im using copperpower if that makes a difference

Same. They are both chelated copper.

Also a protein skimmer will make it to where you constantly will have to check copper level. As in possibly even every few hours. While it’s skimming it will also be taking out copper. Is this a QT setup you’re running??

Edit: just saw some posts from Randy, one of the chemistry guys here, he does not see the benefit to it if it’s a QT you’re running. So it does not have any effect, from what I was reading, copper.

I am curious on the reasons.
 
Last edited:
Is it ok to carbon dose (ie. vinegar, nopox) a qt tank with therapeutic level of chelated copper? Running protein skimmer as well.

You can, but it may scavenge too much oxygen. I don't see a need for this in a QT.
 
Same. They are both chelated copper.

Also a protein skimmer will make it to where you constantly will have to check copper level. As in possibly even every few hours. While it’s skimming it will also be taking out copper. Is this a QT setup you’re running??

Edit: just saw some posts from Randy, one of the chemistry guys here, he does not see the benefit to it if it’s a QT you’re running. So it does not have any effect, from what I was reading, copper.

I am curious on the reasons.

Have you seen protein skimmers remove amine-chelated copper? I haven't noticed any appreciable removal....
 
Same. They are both chelated copper.

Also a protein skimmer will make it to where you constantly will have to check copper level. As in possibly even every few hours. While it’s skimming it will also be taking out copper. Is this a QT setup you’re running??

Edit: just saw some posts from Randy, one of the chemistry guys here, he does not see the benefit to it if it’s a QT you’re running. So it does not have any effect, from what I was reading, copper.

I am curious on the reasons.
Skimmer will not make a difference
 
Have you seen protein skimmers remove amine-chelated copper? I haven't noticed any appreciable removal....

I’m my big 100g tank it was not something drastic .01-.02 a day. my smaller tanks even up to .05 within half a day. And again depends how wet you run it.

Over all I found no use for skimmers because I do WC’s. Speaking of that…. Last night I did a WC on a pair of percula clowns QT tank I’m running. And water was really clean. Don’t have to feed them as much. My 150 right now is an observation tank. And had two angles, two clowns and a basslet. My skimmer almost does not skim anything. I feed small spectrum pellets. And waste is super minimal. I guess more info from the op on why a need for a skimmer. Maybe many fish in the tank.

Personally I rely on WC for QT. But the tank size can make it a real chore. So I get the extra filtration question.
 
I’m my big 100g tank it was not something drastic .01-.02 a day. my smaller tanks even up to .05 within half a day. And again depends how wet you run it.

Over all I found no use for skimmers because I do WC’s. Speaking of that…. Last night I did a WC on a pair of percula clowns QT tank I’m running. And water was really clean. Don’t have to feed them as much. My 150 right now is an observation tank. And had two angles, two clowns and a basslet. My skimmer almost does not skim anything. I feed small spectrum pellets. And waste is super minimal. I guess more info from the op on why a need for a skimmer. Maybe many fish in the tank.

Personally I rely on WC for QT. But the tank size can make it a real chore. So I get the extra filtration question.

I can see copper export from a wet skimmer based on the amount of water removed, but I’ve never seen a skimmer remove copper at a rate greater than that small amount.

I don’t see a lot of use for a skimmer in a QT, but since many people don’t aerate like they should, it would help with that issue.
 
I can see copper export from a wet skimmer based on the amount of water removed, but I’ve never seen a skimmer remove copper at a rate greater than that small amount.

I don’t see a lot of use for a skimmer in a QT, but since many people don’t aerate like they should, it would help with that issue.


I run in tank UV filters. They can really move water. Aquatop makes a nice one. And it aerates very well. Prevents algae bloom to.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new