Carbon Dosing effect on pH?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my wife just mentioned the pH of the ATO water. It's in a loosely sealed container, and being RO, seems likely to absorb anything, including CO2. I've never checked, but dumping in a litre a day of low pH water can't be helping anything. I assume it's 7, but should test to be sure.
The pH of RO/DI top off water is essentially irrelevant and is not accurately measured anyway.

even more oddly, adding totally pure fresh water at pH 7 to pH 8.2 seawater will give a pH above 8.2. Gotta love chemistry!!!

OP
OP
Pat613

Pat613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pH of RO/DI top off water is essentially irrelevant and is not accurately measured anyway.

even more oddly, adding totally pure fresh water at pH 7 to pH 8.2 seawater will give a pH above 8.2. Gotta love chemistry!!!
Fascinating! Thanks for all your help with this, btw :)

OP
OP
Pat613

Pat613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: the window rotation scheme worked a treat, but we'll see come July and August. Also adding some larger pieces of alk hungry stony stuff, so I can use more kalk by then and hopefully keep it artificially raised for 8 weeks, if need be.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back