Carbon dosing for 1 1/2 weeks, no sign of nitrate reduction (skimming wet).

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has had enough time to cycle, and it hasn't cycled, then I would guess that you have an air leak(the pump is the first place I would check). That is the only possible reason for nitrite that I can think of. If the pump is leaking, some people have put a certain type of grease on it and it stopped the leak(it might have been silicone grease).

Last edited:
OP
OP
2Wheelsonly

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has had enough time to cycle, and it hasn't cycled, then I would guess that you have an air leak(the pump is the first place I would check). That is the only possible reason for nitrite that I can think of. If the pump is leaking, some people have put a certain type of grease on it and it stopped the leak.

Doesn't the presence of no2 in the reactor mean it's starting to build bacteria? Would I be wrong to assume that if I had an air leak the bacteria could not colonize hence no biological breakdown happening at all within the reactor? There are nitrites in the reactor but not present in my tank because they are processed so quickly. That would tell me the sulfur is doing SOMETHING.

Sorry, just trying to learn here. This is frustratiing!

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite does mean the bacteria are growing. If there is a lot of oxygen the bacteria can only produce nitrite(nitrate to nitrite). The bacteria need low oxygen levels to be able to produce nitrogen gas(reduce nitrate).

Last edited:
OP
OP
2Wheelsonly

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a lot of oxygen the bacteria can only produce nitrite(nitrate to nitrite). The bacteria need a low amount of oxygen to be able to produce nitrogen gas(reduce nitrate).

thanks for clearing this up for me! Interesting thing is that I had my drip rate so slow initially in the first week the output stopped for a day and everything came out zero but smelled like eggs. My guess is it shut off and created an oxygen free environment. If the pump had an air leak this might not have happened so maybe my intake pump is the problem. I originally had my maxi jet pump that feeds my active carbon reactor t’d off via 1/4 to the TS-2 intake and maybe that was generating air bubbles. I just now swapped to an aqua lifter taking water out of my return portion of the sump into the ts-2, I’ll see how that goes!

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you increase the flow too quickly to the reactor, that could cause the bacteria to produce nitrite(too much oxygen). What is your strategy to increase flow into the reactor?

Jon_W79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I forgot something you said in post #80.

Last edited:

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the topic is heavy on many people's minds, so my 2 cents...
There is most certainly a hot debate over "real ocean rock" vs. "dead rock", and how that impacts sufficient bacteria strains, and sufficient population. Can you have success with either? Yes, each system varies, but so many variables and techniques to consider. High nutrients in one system may work, whereas others thrive in nutrient poor systems.
I have been chasing the dry rock rainbow and haven't given up, but continue to add as much "Life" as I can to get over the hump. With systems like AF, Zeovit, Fauna Marin, Prodibio, can most certainly support "dead rock" setup, but requires heavy food import, with heavy export, coupled with bacteria additions. I try to be open to all setups and ideas. I am considering making my own fish food, not just due to cost, but procuring fresh, and including guts of shrimp, lobster, clams, scallops, and other local ingredients, I believe bacteria would be well diversified, and possibly a missing ingredient, pardon the pun ;)
I am also always on the hunt for tank breakdowns, especially systems that have been established for years. Also try to get rubble here and there, or a scoop of sand. Sharing ideas, pitfalls, and observation is the idea :)

OP
OP
2Wheelsonly

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have to bump this, it's making me crazy. Please tell me my tank doesn't defy the laws of chemistry.

I tried slowing down my feeding for 2 weeks (to the point I worried about my fish) = No change in nitrates (I also ONLY feed LRS reef frenzy)
I tried massive water changes (350G system, did 800G of water change weekly for 3 weeks) = No change in nitrates
I tried carbon dosing for 7 months = No change at all
I tried overskimming (empty 8 cups of skimate daily) = No change at all
I tried Dr Tim's waste away for 2 weeks = No change at all, no blooms, zero effect
I tried aggressively changing sump socks and floss daily = No change at all
I tried a sulfur denitrator = No change at all, after 8 weeks it will not seed just spits nitrites which throws off nitrate kits
I tried a brightwell xport no3 brick rated for 1000G and microbacter7 = No change
I tried a large DIY algae turf scrubber for 7 months = No change

Nothing, absolutely nothing is reducing nitrates. It's not my test kits as I have 4 different brands at this point all brand new and LFS also testing confirms my results. It's not nitrites throwing my kit off as my display tests for 0 nitrites. My po4 is really really low at 2-4pbb average but I am dosing daily to keep it at 0.02-0.04. The only abnormal thing my tank seems to be doing otherwise is some new aquascaped dry rock is sucking up my po4 I am guessing (caribsea liferock).

It would appear to me that my tank can't grow bacteria? If I have no means to bring nitrates down at what point will I crash? I don't have to be a scientist to know that when a number keeps rising without any means to lower it eventually something bad happens. I sent my water off to be tested and there wasn't a single param out of whack (most don't test nitrates though).

I thought SURELY a freaking sulfur denitrator would do the trick but it's without a doubt another useless attempt.

I also tested my incoming fresh made salt water and it's 0-1 nitrates.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrates at? And how much are you feeding those couple of fish? How much water did you change at a time when you changed 800 gallons. The number didn’t drop if you tested directly after the water change? Have you tested your fresh water recently?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have to bump this, it's making me crazy. Please tell me my tank doesn't defy the laws of chemistry.

No matter what you write, i can assure you that isn't true. lol

Now I'll proceed to read these purported impossibilities. :)

OP
OP
2Wheelsonly

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kit is showing 50, these issues started at 25 and the numbers seem to rise over time. The results against the fresh water are clear (not saying 0 because there is always that guy that says it can never be zero lol).

for years my nitrates were always 5-10 and I have not added fish in roughly 4 years; I can only assume since they have grown they are producing higher bio load.

I feed about a chunk the size of a quarter of LRS frozen daily but when I was trying to reduce nitrates I fed every other day.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Po4 at .02-.04 is not high enough. If you're nitrates wer 2-10ppm you would be fine if feeding heavily, but with that gap you have it's not going to work.

Get it up higher short term to at least .10-.15 that should kick in the bacteria in your rock, corals themselves as the zoo population grows, and also help the algae filter and they will start to consume some of the nitrates.

Dose a phosphate source or use ReefRoids ( heavy in PO4).

Test at the same time daily until you can control the level of consumption. I'd probably target .15ppm.

I have no experience with denitrators so my thoughts would be to take it off line.

Either way I'd stick to one export strategy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back