Carbon dosing not working

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per title I’m dosing homemade nopox. Now I’ve icp and checked molybdenum and sulphur and the no3 result is accurate, my sumps first section is loaded with ceramic media for about a month and dosing 18ml of nopox a day on a 25 litre system seems to be having no affect. Is there anything obvious I’m missing? Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Frag_mad

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on the homemade NoPox?
It’s 500ml vinegar, 300ml vodka and 200ml RO water. Worked in my previous tank just fine. I’ve never had no3 higher than 5 up until last 2 months. Tanks about 4 months old now.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes please fill in...

What is you home made nopox?
How long you been dosing?
What is your nitrate and phosphate?

I dose store bought vinegar, i got up to 50ml in a 520litre sys about 650litre including sump.

Took about 3 months for affects to take place, now im at about 15ml

OP
OP
Frag_mad

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the carbon source is 500ml vinegar, 300ml vodka and 200ml ro. Been dosing since tank was started approx 4 months ago. NO3 25 & po4 is 18ppb or 0.05 but controlled with GFO

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox takes around a month before I noticed it make a difference. Why is it needed in a 4 month old tank? Seems early on in the life of the tank. Still probably aren't stabilized at that point.

OP
OP
Frag_mad

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NoPox takes around a month before I noticed it make a difference. Why is it needed in a 4 month old tank? Seems early on in the life of the tank. Still probably aren't stabilized at that point.
Because my nutrients are high, it isn’t brand new as such it was an upgrade so all my stock moved over. Whilst the levels aren’t killing anything all my favourite acropora have lost colour. All other levels are stable now. First 2 months were tricky but settled since then

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because my nutrients are high, it isn’t brand new as such it was an upgrade so all my stock moved over. Whilst the levels aren’t killing anything all my favourite acropora have lost colour. All other levels are stable now. First 2 months were tricky but settled since then
This is what i dread when i finally upgrade and build the dream tank!

Did you upsize or down? Could be some die off from the move and stress, but this is just a guess.

But yeah as you siad its not enough to worry whilst personally i like lower levels myself, your being proactive hence your question.

How big is your system? Sounds like it should be kicking in by now, but i guess milage can very and no two systems will be the same.

Hope you can hit your goals! :)

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do anything drastic when it comes dosing NoPox or something similar as it can go sideways really fast.

OP
OP
Frag_mad

Frag_mad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i dread when i finally upgrade and build the dream tank!

Did you upsize or down? Could be some die off from the move and stress, but this is just a guess.

But yeah as you siad its not enough to worry whilst personally i like lower levels myself, your being proactive hence your question.

How big is your system? Sounds like it should be kicking in by now, but i guess milage can very and no two systems will be the same.

Hope you can hit your goals! :)
So neither really, I think I added maybe 50 litres to my system by lining up an lps tank at the side of my sps tank and moving both to the opposite side of the room. Minimal stock added afterwards. Could possibly be just re adjustment but it’s been going on 3 months now & im just checking I’m not missing something basic as even changing the doseage of the carbon source doesn’t seem to change anything and I want this tank to run solely on carbon dosing eventually

Back