OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome. Let us know what happens when you mix it.
I just added 125ml of K+ to about 3,500ml (just under a gallon) of vinegar. That should mean for every 28ml of vinegar added, I'm dosing ~1 mL of trace elements. The recommended dosage for K+ is 1ml per 25 gallons, so this is about half strength at my current vinegar dosage for my water volume. I want to start slowly. There is no visible precipitant at the bottom of the container. I inverted the container about 30 times. There's a slight blue hue to the vinegar, which makes sense since K+ is blue. The vinegar still has a strong acetate smell.

After I'm about half way through this bottle, I'll send out an ICP test I have laying around to see where things are at. Depending on the levels found, I'll increase/decrease the strength. As stated earlier in this thread, I'll continue to do biweekly water changes of 10%.

OP
OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay...it's been mixed for over an hour and there's no precipitation. That's promising. I'm excited to see what the trace element levels will be at in at in the next couple of months. Would it be possible to add Tropic Marin A- to kalkwasser or will that cause precipitation due to the high pH?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay...it's been mixed for over an hour and there's no precipitation. That's promising. I'm excited to see what the trace element levels will be at in at in the next couple of months. Would it be possible to add Tropic Marin A- to kalkwasser or will that cause precipitation due to the high pH?

I’m not sure exactly what is in it, but that’s the one to try to put in kalkwasser and I think it is most likely ok. Air oxidation of iodide to iodate may take place when diluted like that, but may be fine. Iodate is natural in seawater.

OP
OP
Oregon Grown Reef

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure exactly what is in it, but that’s the one to try to put in kalkwasser and I think it is most likely ok. Air oxidation of iodide to iodate may take place when diluted like that, but may be fine. Iodate is natural in seawater.
This is great news! Glad to have possibly found a way to add trace elements without having to manually dose or buy more equipment.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back