Carbon dosing to regulate my denitrification chamber.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Science/G
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Science/G

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 26, 2021
Messages
3,854
Reaction score
3,250
Location
Miami
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently I had nitrates creeping up to almost 30. I found the sweet spot for me is around 15. I went back through the BrightWell instructions for the nitrate blocks and noticed it is recommended that they are to be changed out. I did, but didn't see any impact until I increased my carbon dose. My question is, can I regulate to performance of my denitrification chamber by raising and lowering my carbon dosing amount?
 
I have some Brightwell Xport N03 Cubes seeded with Microbacter7 in a small sample cup with a couple of holes on the sides to allow some water flow, but not enough to create a aerobic environment. There are holes in the lid to allow nitrogen gas to bubble out.
Screenshot_2025-06-12-15-11-35-65_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
IMG20250612151338.jpg
 
I do not know if denitrification is actually taking place, or simple uptake of N and P from bacteria growth, but regardless of the molecular level process, dosing organic carbon can regulate nitrate levels.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new