Carbon dosing worth it if pH already on low side?

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working on getting my pH up through aeration and kalk dosing. Yesterday my pH peaked at 7.94 and bottomed at 7.79.

I decided to dose NoPox this evening and it dropped my pH by .06, from 7.82 to 7.76.

Maybe I should try dosing it overnight along with the kalk?

Also while I know higher is better, what's the lowest my pH can be and still be safe for the corals? They exist and grow but certainly don't thrive.

I'll be installing a fresh air line to my skimmer this week to further help with pH.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working on getting my pH up through aeration and kalk dosing. Yesterday my pH peaked at 7.94 and bottomed at 7.79.

I decided to dose NoPox this evening and it dropped my pH by .06, from 7.82 to 7.76.

Maybe I should try dosing it overnight along with the kalk?

Also while I know higher is better, what's the lowest my pH can be and still be safe for the corals? They exist and grow but certainly don't thrive.

I'll be installing a fresh air line to my skimmer this week to further help with pH.
Carbon dosing has done the same for me. There really is no good answer here. PH is gonna take a hit. what I have found is that I try to dose during the peak photo period of my display tank. Yes, my PH peak is a little lower, but the PH downswing is a lot less..as such, still lower overall PH but less of a up and down swing.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 17 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.5%
Back