carbon dosing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mb7 adds bacteria, but organic carbon dosing adds food for bacteria.

I'm not sure why one would prefer to add mb7, but it is easy enough to try. :)

FWIW, I prefer vinegar to vodka because so many creatures can consume it, even corals. :)

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering because I saw that It said It would effect the phosphate and nitrates? and would you dose vinegar the same way as vodka ? also what's the difference between the vodka and vinegar dosing?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the vodka dosing article and I noticed that the vinegar one mentioned kalk and I was planning on using kalk so does that mean I should use the vinegar one to help balance the pH of my tank?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can affect PH if your in the higher dosing levels. Randy would be the one to help you with using them both together.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering because I saw that It said It would effect the phosphate and nitrates? and would you dose vinegar the same way as vodka ? also what's the difference between the vodka and vinegar dosing?

That's the claim. It presumes there already is some organic matter in the tank that can help feed the bacteria (and there often may be), but adding more with organic carbon dosing can drive the process significantly further. Using both methods together is also a fine plan.

Vinegar and vodka are different organics (ethanol and acetic acid, respectively). There are many others one can use as well. They may drive different species of bacteria, have different propensities to spur cyanobacteria, and have different availabilities to other organisms, such as corals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I dose both.

I don't mix them.

I use limewater in my slow ATO, and and I use a BRS dosing pump to dose vinegar.

You can also make lime-saturated vinegar and dose that manually once a day (or more often, if desired). Just take straight vinegar and add calcium hydroxide into it until there is excess solids on the bottom after mixing. Then use the clear liquid. I dosed that way for a substantial period before getting the BRS pump.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't dose vinegar directly to the tank because it will lower alkalinity. When dosing it in limewater it doesn't IIRC. The acid gets converted to a base in the limewater and your left with the carbon source.

But Randy is best to verify that's correct :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could you dose the kalk with a ATO and then dose the vinegar with a syringe?

Yes, that would be fine, but the pH will drop on adding the vinegar so adding a lot at once isn't desirable.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't dose vinegar directly to the tank because it will lower alkalinity. When dosing it in limewater it doesn't IIRC. The acid gets converted to a base in the limewater and your left with the carbon source.

But Randy is best to verify that's correct :)

pH drops with vinegar. The effect on alkalinity is temporary and fairly small. Once it is metabolized the effect on alkalinity disappears. :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back