Carbon dozing

  • Thread starter Thread starter nasa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nasa

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2024
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Location
ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I am starting liquid carbon dozing in my tank and my question is should I turn off my UV sterilizer to prevent killing bacteria?
 
No. Carbon dosing also feeds bacteria that are not in the water column such as on/in the substrate, corals etc.
what size tank?
UV wattage?
Pump flow rate?
 
My tank :60g
Uv wattage :36
Pump flow:900gph
 
Because it’s much better than running GFO or refugem .
In carbon dosing you have more colorful, corals and fast growing
And you can control the sweet spot of nitrate and phosphate
But I don’t recommend it for the tank that is not stable
 
Because it’s much better than running GFO or refugem .
In carbon dosing you have more colorful, corals and fast growing
And you can control the sweet spot of nitrate and phosphate
But I don’t recommend it for the tank that is not stable

When I read the subject line I assumed you were dosing carbon in the form of ethanol to yourself :)

Carbon dosing feeds bacteria that consume Nitrates.
It doesn't do much for phosphate and any effect on coral color is anecdotal.

You must be running a skimmer.
 
what are your current tank parameters? Carbon dosing can be very tricky. I actually think it’s more difficult then running a fuge and gfo. Gfo is tricky as a lot of folks use recommend dose on packaging and it can strip phosphates way to fast. I only say this cause I had some trouble with carbon dosing cause I bottomed out my nitrate. My tank runs at 10 and about o.15-0.2 phosphate. It took a tool on some of my LPS my sps seemed to take it much better. What product will you be using?
 
Rea sea no3po4-x
And I just started dosing carbon 2.5 ml per day and my no3 is 10 ppm and po4 is 0.1
I am going to test them next week and see how’s going on
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new