Carbon not absorbing cupramine

Colten

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I put carbon in the filter 5 days ago to remove the cupramine. It's still at .05. Why is it taking so long? I have a fish order coming in today to put in the QT. Can I just add the fish to my DT even though he's still in cupramine?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I put carbon in the filter 5 days ago to remove the cupramine. It's still at .05. Why is it taking so long? I have a fish order coming in today to put in the QT. Can I just add the fish to my DT even though he's still in cupramine?

Yes you can do that. Carbon isn't the most efficient at removing copper unless the water is being forced to move through it. Cupusorb would work better, but it's the same concept. Water changes will help tremendously to get the copper levels down. You'll want them down very low before the new fish come in anyway so you don't shock them.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read Humblefish's Stickie "Chucks Picture Fish Disease Guide", and click on the very first blue link then scroll almost all the way to the bottom and read under "Copper Based Medications" it says only water changes will remove chelated copper, (Not Carbon)! Just saying.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back