Carbon not absorbing cupramine

  • Thread starter Thread starter Colten
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Colten

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2016
Messages
32
Reaction score
16
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I put carbon in the filter 5 days ago to remove the cupramine. It's still at .05. Why is it taking so long? I have a fish order coming in today to put in the QT. Can I just add the fish to my DT even though he's still in cupramine?
 
So, I put carbon in the filter 5 days ago to remove the cupramine. It's still at .05. Why is it taking so long? I have a fish order coming in today to put in the QT. Can I just add the fish to my DT even though he's still in cupramine?

Yes you can do that. Carbon isn't the most efficient at removing copper unless the water is being forced to move through it. Cupusorb would work better, but it's the same concept. Water changes will help tremendously to get the copper levels down. You'll want them down very low before the new fish come in anyway so you don't shock them.
 
If you read Humblefish's Stickie "Chucks Picture Fish Disease Guide", and click on the very first blue link then scroll almost all the way to the bottom and read under "Copper Based Medications" it says only water changes will remove chelated copper, (Not Carbon)! Just saying.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new