Carbonat Mix mixing problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bwoodward0012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently decided to make the switch from dosing basic brightwell 2 part and magnesium to the Fauna Marin balling light system. Yesterday I had some extra time so I decided to mix up the 3 solutions. I skimmed the directions before I started to get a basic idea what I would be doing and started mixing using the 1kg size containers. Since the formula called for 2kg to make 5L of solution, I figured I needed to cut the recipes in half to mix it correctly. The calcium and magnesium went smooth, leaving me with 2.5L of solution each. However, I did not read the directions thoroughly again when mixing the carbonate mix and mixed it to the same formula as the others where the 1kg of supplement should be mixed into 2L of water then topped off to 2.5L and add any required trace supplement. I only realized something was wrong when it wouldn't mix into suspension, so I went back and read and figured out that I should have only added 250g to the 2L of water and topped up to 2.5L, so I dumped it into a bucket and topped off the water up to 10L hoping I would solve the problem. It has now been over 30 hours since I mixed it initially and there still remains a small amount of undissolved carbonate mix (about a 7.5cm wide by 2.5cm tall mound at the bottom of my bucket). What I want to know is will this dissolve or should I discard it and buy another small tub of carbonate mix to try to mix correctly?

Although it is completely my fault for not reading the directions clearly, it would probably make the product much more user friendly if mixing and dosing directions for just that particular supplement were printed clearly on its packaging. Just a thought.

Fauna Marin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

As long as most of the Carbonate Mix is dissolved, you can use it without any issues. Having some undissolved mix at the bottom is okay.

Since your original batch was at 4x the concentration which was later diluted into a 10L bucket, the batch will be slightly under the normal concentration. This means, you can dose a bit more to compensate for the diluted solution.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back