Carbondoser secondary solenoid?

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was thinking. Unlike traditional regulators which have an actual mechanical needle valve, the Carbondoser regulates CO2 by opening and closing a solenoid. But if the solenoid fails in the open position, it will dump a whole ton of CO2 in your reactor. I don’t know much about solenoids so not sure how likely this is. So to prevent that, would it make sense to have another electronic solenoid on the CO2 line hooked up to the same PH controller? That way, if the Carbondoser solenoid fails, you have a failsafe that will shut off CO2. Thoughts?

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into one when I set up my new tank.....From what I have read in the past the most common failure is it leaks. I dont know of any thing I read where one has failed open.
Disclaimer: I use a dual stage and needle valve. I dont use the solenoid to control Ph. The only time my solenoid is used is if Ph is too low and then the solenoid closes.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting redundancy!

Think I would catch the Reactor pH before it got that out of control. Besides the Trident would report unusually high Alk and Calcium. Also can set Apex alerts if reactor pH gets too high or Alk or Calcium gets out of whack.

D390985E-FAE8-438F-BEF7-914827727FC0.png

OP
OP
Yodeling

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel a lot so I’m always thinking of scenarios when I’m not around to intervene. In those situations an alert isn’t going to save me. :)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back