Cardinal has white string from urogenital area/swimming upside down. What is this?

Wesley Clarillos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cardinal fish has a white string from his urogenital area. What is this? I’m assuming it’s probably something obvious hoping your
Guys can help. He is swimming upside down and also laying down at bottom
Of tank. What am I dealing with? Is there something I can do?

3312A2A4-2166-4ED1-BA72-70634917D03C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its a saltwater anchor worm which is somewhat related to the copepod. The only treatment I know for anchor worm is one called dimilin but generally used for pond fish and im not sure on the application in saltwater.
What I do know is that it will require you to work quick, but you can safely remove it with tweezers.
Im assuming a good fluke medication such as Praziquental (Prazi) may work.
Im Positive @Jay Hemdal will know what to use safely.

1612477123105.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I'm not sure that it is anchor worm. Can you post a picture taken under white light? I think it is very mucus-filled feces. That combined with the fish being upside down means that there is not likely any cure for it though, sorry!

Jay

OP
OP
Wesley Clarillos

Wesley Clarillos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I really appreciate the time you guys took to reply and help me out. Unsurprisingly, the fish did not make it. I had just dosed copepods, could they have caused it? Going to do some homework now. Thanks again.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I really appreciate the time you guys took to reply and help me out. Unsurprisingly, the fish did not make it. I had just dosed copepods, could they have caused it? Going to do some homework now. Thanks again.
No, dosing copepods would not have caused this. It is technically possible for live foods to bring disease into a tank, but the is a lag time where you add the live food and then a problem shows up 5 to 14 days later depending on the parasite. Jay

OP
OP
Wesley Clarillos

Wesley Clarillos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, dosing copepods would not have caused this. It is technically possible for live foods to bring disease into a tank, but the is a lag time where you add the live food and then a problem shows up 5 to 14 days later depending on the parasite. Jay
Thanks for the info, Jay.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back