Carib Sea Arag-ALive Fiji Pink Substrate?!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're correct @mcarroll however DFS is a different department all together.
As soon as possible I'll be ordering 20 Florida Cerith Snails from ReefCleaners.com. They're the ones that live in and on the SB dominantly.

I'm sure they are all different departments but I'm not cutting them slack for that.

Same owner. [emoji6][emoji106]

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok reefers just finished up removing more sand. Switched up salt mix from RC to IO.
Before
656741ea5fa652b1ea4905a985d67284.jpg

After
1dfc5c3b048bb2608906e633aa8dfd36.jpg

Before
890095f4774ffe5040820799daa556bc.jpg

After
61c7a3ac485200d35e91696d15aecd07.jpg

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's now been 4 days since removing top layer of SB and 5g WC using IO salt mix.
Usually my SB would be completely covered in diatom looking "stuff" by now. As of today just a few tiny areas exist. I am elated to say the least!

So was it the Reef Crystals causing this issue all along? No other explanation. It is the only thing I've changed.

brandon4432

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's now been 4 days since removing top layer of SB and 5g WC using IO salt mix.
Usually my SB would be completely covered in diatom looking "stuff" by now. As of today just a few tiny areas exist. I am elated to say the least!

So was it the Reef Crystals causing this issue all along? No other explanation. It is the only thing I've changed.

Wow that's great! But didn't you remove some sand too? I remember some other reefers saying they had the problem until they removed sand and thinned out the bed. In my case i removed sand weekly for about a month and a half and then Installed a Kessil and my case vanished.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did remove about 2 cups from the surface. But alas I've spoken to soon. As of 3:30pm today it's back.
It took 4 days to show up and show up it did in full force ugh! [emoji31]

I will continue removing sand with every WC. The lights I can't do anything about ATM. But will be moving to Radions soon.

brandon4432

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did remove about 2 cups from the surface. But alas I've spoken to soon. As of 3:30pm today it's back.
It took 4 days to show up and show up it did in full force ugh! [emoji31]

I feel your pain, so sorry to hear that. Fortunately mine still hasn't come back

007Bond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 days,...kind of thing can drive you nuts. your corals look good so I understand your frustration! you need to analyze everything that transpired in the time period. I'm still thinking lighting ,..just a thought,...ambient possible,...I know you ruled it out with low e glass, buy as a another option to cross off the list,...try blocking it (if you have any) from hitting your tank. I say this because I get some brown algae only at the one end of my 8' long tank which is 3' from a window. can you run only the blues on your leds for a few days,...see if any help. Should keep written daily record to figure what might have a positive impact. Anyhow wish I could give you the exact fix but in the hobby what works for one,...will not help for someone else :confused:...You'll get it ;)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid that wasn't it. I switched from RC to HW Reefer to IO and it hasn't helped mine at all. I didn't do the switch because of the diatoms but it certainly hasn't helped.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the issue was just in one particular area, then I'd consider ambient light. But it's everywhere! Even behind the rock. I've also kept the shades closed for an entire week, made no difference.
I'm beginning to wonder if it is my lights combined with the sand itself. Who knows, I sure can't figure it out. <sigh>

51a08c73221220cc89588b6dd9343dda.jpg

007Bond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well keep posting hopefully someone will help with a answer that will solve the mystery.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's crazy for ya. My Royal Gramma loves digging and spitting pretty white sand all over my rock. Just for the heck of it instead of blowing it off right away (it's usually covering my Zoas) I just left it alone to see what would happen. Seriously within hours that pretty white sand turned dusty brown right before my eyes!!
Oh and another thing. Almost 2yrs old and my rock has NO Coralline growth on it at all. Coralline on the glass, overflow box & power head though. I've scraped it off the overflow box thinking it would help seed the rock. Nope.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The observation about your lights was interesting
I'm acclimating my system over to led/kessil for the first time and it's causing some brownish growth on my glass that I'm having to remove more often as the system adapts and I guide it back out of the tank. Since it's not a deep-seated invader in my system (in the rocks, deep within the bed etc) it can be guided out in time, about one month of acclimation I bet, found it neat that only the lighting had changed to cause it. I wasn't ever thinking it was my sand or water type.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/simple-nano.230757/#post-2694862

Last edited:

cpllongjk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I used ReefCrystals about 4-5 years ago and had the same issue. Since RC, I've switched to IO and ESV Salt, and Tropic Marin Pro Reef. My favorite out of the lot is Tropic Marin Pro Reef. It's double the price of IO but has everything I want in the right proportion. ESV was just too expensive and time intensive to keep using with a larger tank. Now that I have a smaller tank and only 5 gallon water changes I may try again but for large applications its a pain. In my current build I ordered 200 gallons of IO only because of cost. I am trying to set up this tank and scraping everything together is expensive. I found a 200g box for around 43 dollars shipped. I think Tropic Marin was around 100 bucks.

Anyways, I think it is a combination of things happening. You will have to go through one thing at a time to find out which one it is.

Check:
ALK
SALINITY
RO TDS in (before DI) and out (after DI), how many DI filters you have?
Nitrates
Phosphates
Condition of Rock before you added it to tank? Dead Rock (cleaned?) Store bought Live Rock?
Water Flow
Lighting Schedule
How much are you feeding?
If its store bought cubes are you rinsing them first. "They add tons of nitrate and phosphate to your tank if you dont rinse"

This is where I would start.

007Bond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has led's...and reading through his thread I believe he has touched on most of your check list.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 62 43.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.4%
Back