Caribbean Christmas Colors

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three months ago, I purchased a Flame Scallop from LFS that originated from the Caribbean. He displayed beautifully for a week and then went into doing a walkabout. As this 75G tank at 25 years mature had large overgrown GSP live rocks, I decided to thin out, so 7 days ago I set up a 55G tank on the bottom of a dual 55G stand.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the flame scallop still alive and kicking?
Pictures are 5 minutes old. I have a second flame scallop that I purchased two weeks after first went hiding. I transfered it 2 days ago from 30G macro algae lagoon to top 55G tank.

PS: Many changes going on as I am dealing with some Cynobacteria in 25 year old tank and a slight diatom bloom. Recent addittion of sand bed detrivores & janitors including me as the biggest janitor as I gravel vac in preparation for adding more substrate on top of reverse flow ug filter.
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Caribbean Flame Scallop likes to burro into substrate, often stirring up detritus which stimulates a feeding response in Sea Apple.

I have removed flame scallop “rock cover” to eradicate some Aptasia. In the meantime, I moved a differrent fixture next to him.

On the bottom tank, I just received a gorgeous Sargassum Seaweed. To date I have not been successful with this anchored sargassum species.

SARGASSUM HYSTRIX VAR. BUXIFOLIUM

brownalgae.bmp
Species of the brown algae Sargassum are among the most prolific of all brown algae in the Caribbean. These include both the anchored and free floating varieties. As a group, they are highly variable in shape, size and distribution and can survive in much cooler water than other tropical macro algae. The anchored varieties are of the most interest to the aquarium hobby, as the free floating patches such as S. Fluitans are not easily kept. Species of Sargassum Hystrix feature large, dark brown leaves with a distinctive white mid rib. This particular variation, identified as Buxifolium (pictured) shares the same basic characteristics, but lacks the pronounced mid rib. It is a shallow water variety, found in depths of about 45 feet, that grows attached to rocks or other hard surfaces by a single holdfast. Most anchored varieties have a very sturdy, thick upright, that is able to securely anchor itself in very turbulent environments. In the aquarium they require bright lighting and moderate to high flow rates for optimal growth.​
sargassumfluitans2.jpg
saragassumfluitans1.jpg
Aquarium Care Information
Scientific Name: Sargassum Hystrix Sp.
Common Name: Sargassum
Origin: Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, Atlantic
Depth Collected: 3 - 45 feet
Maximum Height : 24"
Growth Rate: Slow
Light: High
Temperature: 68-78
Propagation: Fragmentation, Sporulation
Difficulty: Advanced
Food Value: Not very palatable
Nutrient Uptake: Fair
Flow Rate: Moderate to High

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first Caribbean Flame Scallop in 25 year mature tank. Note that both displays have reverse flow under-gravel filters. In both cases, scallop has cleared a depression in the sand.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg