Caribbean SPS

Doctor Derp

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2021
Messages
908
Reaction score
959
Location
Derpistan
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
We probably have 350lb of KP Aquatics rock from the Florida keys between all of our systems. There are three or four varieties of this coral on a few of the rocks. Most are just a basic brown color, but a few show brighter colors, greens and reds mostly.

This one here has probably doubled in size since arrival six months ago. I love having oddball stuff like this.. anyone got an idea of what species it might be? Thanks in advance!
PXL_20251018_004415657.jpg
PXL_20251018_004432539.jpg
 
It is hard to speculate without a photo of the skeleton, or at least a photo of colony with polyp retracted.

I would not say it is Alveopora spp. As for this genus is Indo/Pacific, has usually 12 tentacle per polyp. I would also say no to Goniopora spp. Again it is not found native to the Caribbean.

If a photo can be taken showing the corallite,(with polyp closed)and a more detailed accounting of the rock history I could possibly identify family/genus
 
Last edited:
Do you ever see sweeper tentacles(at night)?maybe in the Family Favidae which do have genus in Caribbean
 
It is hard to speculate without a photo of the skeleton, or at least a photo of colony with polyp retracted.

I would not say it is Alveopora spp. As for this genus is Indo/Pacific, has usually 12 tentacle per polyp. I would also say no to Goniopora spp. Again it is not found native to the Caribbean.

If a photo can be taken showing the corallite,(with polyp closed)and a more detailed accounting of the rock history I could possibly identify family/genus

It has 12

Use my line as a starting point and count in a circle

IMG_2726.jpeg
 
Alveopora is not native to that region but could have been artificially introduced.

Can you use a baster and get it to retract so we can see the base / skeleton?
 
It’s Porites I have some also that came on LR
 
It is hard to speculate without a photo of the skeleton, or at least a photo of colony with polyp retracted.

I would not say it is Alveopora spp. As for this genus is Indo/Pacific, has usually 12 tentacle per polyp. I would also say no to Goniopora spp. Again it is not found native to the Caribbean.

If a photo can be taken showing the corallite,(with polyp closed)and a more detailed accounting of the rock history I could possibly identify family/genus
What do you mean? The rock came from KP Aquatics in the Florida Keys. The coral was on the rock when I received it. Was this not clear from the initial posting?
 
One of my colonies has turned a greenish color under my radions. I’ll see if I can get a photo when lights come on.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new