Caribsea Life Rock - Need to Sterilize?

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some chunks of Caribsea Life Rock from an old aquarium that have been in my shed for about 18 months. I want to add some of them back into my current tank but wondering if I need to sterilize them at all? Was thinking of boiling them for a few minutes to get rid of any nasties that might be on them. Is that a good plan, overkill or should I be doing anything else??

Thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have some chunks of Caribsea Life Rock from an old aquarium that have been in my shed for about 18 months. I want to add some of them back into my current tank but wondering if I need to sterilize them at all? Was thinking of boiling them for a few minutes to get rid of any nasties that might be on them. Is that a good plan, overkill or should I be doing anything else??

Thanks
Never boil rock - there can be toxins released (though unlikely after 18 months). But - they can crack, explode, etc. If you wanted to sterilize them - you can use a bleach solution - soak - overnight - then rinse, then place in a bucket (or something) - adding a high dose of sodium thiosulfate. Don't use scented bleach!!!!

All of that said - I would just put them in your tank and do nothing - you might want to rinse them off.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just rinse them. If they were in a tank previously, consider curing them in a bucket to let phosphates leach out or decayed matter break down.

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks guys - so you think best solution is to just let them sit in some salt water for a few day?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back