CaribSea Life Rock...Skimmer going insane!

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week I added 20 pounds of the new "Shapes" CaribSea Life Rock to my 139 gallon 3 month old system (Reefer525xl). Prior to going into the display it was washed with RO to get any loose items off. Didn't think it needed to be cured. Its beautiful rock BTW!!! My Nyos skimmer went crazy within about 20-30 min of it going in. At any setting the skimmer overflow's like nothing that I've seen before. I hate to go without a skimmer for too long and my preference is to leave the rock in, so I shut off the skimmer, started running carbon and going to do a couple of 20 gallon water changes. Is this the right path to take? Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help!

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's a sign there's a bunch of crap on that rock if your skimmers going bonkers who knows what it went through and came in contact with prior to coming too you. Would have been best imo to soak it in salt water with a power head for a few days and test the water and see what's coming out of it

Pockets

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tanks pretty new yet you could pull the rock and soak, rinse and repeat and make sure it's clean and fire your skimmer back up in the mean time

OP
OP
g5flier

g5flier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input, always great to get feedback from some more experienced reefers. I went ahead and ran the high grade carbon and did a 25 gallon water change, then got the skimmer going again. Its purring at this point so looks like that did the trick. For what its worth this new rock called "Life Rock Shapes" is very nice. A bit pricey but I received 6 pieces in the 20 pounds I bought, they laid perfect across the top of my other base rock and really added some nice texture and color to my reef. Will take some pictures at some point and get them posted.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back