Caribsea lifeRock cause cyano outbreak?

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced this? I have added the caribsea liferock on 3 separate tanks and after a few days later all 3 tanks had cyano. They are all separate tanks so there was no cross contamination. My tanks had been cyano free since setup. Weird part is cyano only appears on the caribsea rock surfaces. Is caribsea a sponsor here on the forum? Seems like they spray something on the rocks that contributes to the cyano since those rocks after blowing them out of cyano their coraline coating or whatever they spray also disappeared. Now I am battling a huge cyano outbreak on one of my big tank.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just beaten this with chemiclean but took 2 doses. Tried blackouts and hydrogen peroxide with no effect. Been 2 weeks clean free so far

OP
OP
rlman41299

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried so far 3 methods. Chemi clean, red cyano rx and dr. tim's cyano method. Nothing worked. Always the cyano starts from the caribsea rocks. It coats the whole rock and starts spreading after siphoning them out

OP
OP
rlman41299

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is terrifying. I just got 60 lbs of these things for my tank upgrade. Wondering if it’s worth putting them in the new tank now
Well mine could just be a bad production batch. Who knows. Maybe you can cure them first?

lanceinhuntsville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mine could just be a bad production batch. Who knows. Maybe you can cure them first?
I put one in my current tank and don’t recall any issues. I did rinse the dust off with tap water then let it soak in RODI for a while before putting it in so maybe that helped? I’m planning to rinse and soak these the same way, hopefully that’s enough.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 140 pounds. No problems. Maybe it is a coincidence. I did have new Marco rock get covered with it. New bare rock goes through phases of overgrowing stuff for a long time.
IMG_1536-M.jpg

IMG_1698-M.jpg

IMG_2046-M.jpg

IMG_3988-M.jpg

It takes time. These pics span 2 years.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back