Caribsea oolite

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just threw in 40lbs of oolite Sunday still a little cloudy. But hard to tell with flow or if it was just mucky sand. Running Jebao scp-70m cross flow PH with a seachem tidal 55 HOB budget reef aquarium. Did I mess up ? Lol

E000FEF3-8269-42D1-A341-04B64D1C3BD3.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice but it is very fine, so flow will cause an issue. As bacteria settles in it will get heavier and settle down. Just try and position your power heads away for a while.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice but it is very fine, so flow will cause an issue. As bacteria settles in it will get heavier and settle down. Just try and position your power heads away for a while.
I have my cross flow pointing up at surface of water and turned it at a lower setting this morning so I’ll see how it helps if it does at all

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming I should probably wait for all that to settle before I even think bout transferring my coral and fish? Of course I added fritz t-start and still gonna wait the rest of this week but I don’t want anything to be effected by the sand storm

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, oolite isnt commonly used imo but cool for macroalgae or burrowing inverts. good luck with ur tank
Thanks. My other tank is a bare bottom so this is my actually first reef tank with sand and saw mix reviews on the oolite but I guess I’ll give it a go and see what happens.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oolite is less commonly used because most flow will send it flying around the tank. personally i'd never use it but if you have a low-flow tank or need it for a specific purpose i see no problem with it. just beware of fish and inverts who spend time in the sand as they can cause a mini sandstorm.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oolite is less commonly used because most flow will send it flying around the tank. personally i'd never use it but if you have a low-flow tank or need it for a specific purpose i see no problem with it. just beware of fish and inverts who spend time in the sand as they can cause a mini sandstorm.
It’s going good so far. High cross flow pump at top of water moving flow throughout the entire tank and only kicking up a little bit of sand but nothing to crazy. Tank is hazy due to the film in the “live sand” I think after awhile with bacteria settling in it’ll all clump together and stay put. My eel will cause problems I’m sure but it’ll all
Be okay

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 50

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s going good so far. High cross flow pump at top of water moving flow throughout the entire tank and only kicking up a little bit of sand but nothing to crazy. Tank is hazy due to the film in the “live sand” I think after awhile with bacteria settling in it’ll all clump together and stay put. My eel will cause problems I’m sure but it’ll all
Be okay
best of luck! and hey, if all else fails you can always siphon it out and replace it :)

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best of luck! and hey, if all else fails you can always siphon it out and replace it :)
Yeah I was thinking of just letting things settle and set for another 2 weeks and if still blowing around badly I’ll siphon out a 5 gallon bucket worth and add in another 20lbs heavier grade and see if it’ll mix better together.

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kicking my self for using fiji pink it blows around everywhere. Thinking about switching to special grade but I do think the finer sand looks better.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kicking my self for using fiji pink it blows around everywhere. Thinking about switching to special grade but I do think the finer sand looks better.
How long have you had the Fiji pink? I’ve been told by several reefers after everything settles and bacteria grows within the sand that it stays put

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been four months I have a jbj 45 AIO with a mp10 and a nero 5 and dual sicce 1.5 returns. There's always a bare corner and sand on my rocks when I wake up. I'm honestly thinking about pulling it all out and switching to special grade maybe.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been four months I have a jbj 45 AIO with a mp10 and a nero 5 and dual sicce 1.5 returns. There's always a bare corner and sand on my rocks when I wake up. I'm honestly thinking about pulling it all out and switching to special grade maybe.
Wouldn’t be a bad idea with all that flow ! Lol I was thinking if this didn’t work syphon out enough to throw in a 20lb bag of special grade But of you play with your flow a little bit you can fix that corner issue. Or add in some crushed coral in those corners.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then again it may take longer then 4 months for your sand to really really settle in id say closer to a year for sure it'll
be set if u can wait that long

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t be a bad idea with all that flow ! Lol I was thinking if this didn’t work syphon out enough to throw in a 20lb bag of special grade But of you play with your flow a little bit you can fix that corner issue. Or add in some crushed coral in those corners.
Replacing half is a good idea. I feel like I'm always messing with the flow I would like to just set it and leave it alone.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back