CaribSea "Special Grade"

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched a bunch of YT videos and read a bit about sand for my new tank over the last 48 hours and the consensus seems to be to get the CaribSea Special Grade with 1-2mm particles - apparently it's available in their Ocean Direct and Arag-Alive products.

Foe the life of me, I can't see it -- where on the bag does it indicate "Special Grade"? I can't even see where it indicates the grain size on the bag. I looked at a lot of bags today trying to find the elusive Special Grade but no luck.

Since I am probably staring it in the face and not seeing it, can someone point out where, on any of these bags, the words Special Grade appear? Even if you google it, you'll find a bunch of pics but nothing with those words. I stand-by waiting to be embarrassed.

Last edited:

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked and could not see any mention of special grade on the « live » version (Carib-Sea Arag-Alive special grade reef sand).

I’ve found this bag of dry sand where you can see it. Same brand, but dry sand. If you can get dry sand, it will be cheaper.

I couldn’t find any last time and bout the Arag-alive, but rinsed it so I wouldn’t have to deal with the cloudiness for months. See this thread : https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/official-sand-rinse-and-tank-transfer-thread.230281/

Bag of dry sand :
1673824610307.jpeg

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm trying to avoid dry sand but I appreciate the contribution. And look, the term appears on the one product I don't want! :hushed-face:

I mean, even if you watch the BRS videos where they reference it repeatedly and show images of the bag itself, the words "special grade" does not appear on the images they show. I'm just confused by the constant referencing of words that are not used by the manufacturer on the Ocean Direct or Arag-alive products.

arag alive.JPG

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It often just says reef sand rather than special grade. Just look for that

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It often just says reef sand rather than special grade. Just look for that
It does, I just don't understand why it is referenced as such but appears nowhere on the bags. Even the Caribsea website uses the term but the image it displays does not. It's bizarre.

Last edited:

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does, I just don't understand why it is referenced as such but appears nowhere on the bags. Even the Caribsea uses the term but the image it uses does not. It's bizarre.
I think it used to from what I remember. Pretty sure they dropped it from the bags in the last few years.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that it is misleading but their other grades say…IE “Oolite”, ”Fiji Pink”, etc. And if buying live sand don’t rinse it you will be rinsing out the beneficial bacteria that is already in it.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that it is misleading but their other grades say…IE “Oolite”, ”Fiji Pink”, etc. And if buying live sand don’t rinse it you will be rinsing out the beneficial bacteria that is already in it.
I've heard conflicting ideas on this. Supposedly you can rinse it to get rid of the particulates and it doesn't kill all the bacteria. I have no personal knowledge of this other than what I have read though.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched a bunch of YT videos and read a bit about sand for my new tank over the last 48 hours and the consensus seems to be to get the CaribSea Special Grade with 1-2mm particles - apparently it's available in their Ocean Direct and Arag-Alive products.

Foe the life of me, I can't see it -- where on the bag does it indicate "Special Grade"? I can't even see where it indicates the grain size on the bag. I looked at a lot of bags today trying to find the elusive Special Grade but no luck.

Since I am probably staring it in the face and not seeing it, can someone point out where, on any of these bags, the words Special Grade appear? Even if you google it, you'll find a bunch of pics but nothing with those words. I stand-by waiting to be embarrassed by your answer. :p
I'm using "Special Grade [size]" in my reef tank. I used a mix of "dry" and "live" about 3 lbs of dry to 1 lb. of "live" as I'm too cheap to pay for the more expensive all "live" sand. But as others have posted it appears they now just call it "Reef Sand" on the "live sand" bag and "Aragonite" on the dry sand bag.

FWIW, I tried their "Fiji Pink" and it was too fine for my tank as it blew around a lot.

This is the "live sand" I used and ordered it from Amazon. It still says it when I open the page that I've ordered it before. So yes, appears they just label it as "Reef Sand" now.

This is the "dry sand" I used. You need to rinse this a lot with RODI.

Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 8.03.31 PM.png

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever test what is in bagged "live" sand?

Just curious since marketing isn't always/often honest. I wonder what actually survives in there, what bacteria, and if it is any more useful then a bottle of bacteria.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the live bacteria is a joke. The lion's share of the filtration is the live rock. I have used many of their sands as well as Southtown. I like the Fiji Pink the best. 0.5-1.5 mm. Great for wrasses. Doesn't blow around in my tank but I don't run a SPS reef crest tank.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live sand in a bag is a farse. Buy dry sand and inoculate with bacteria in a bottle.

However, I choose diver collected live sand because I seek diversity of micro inverts for janitors in my clean up crew. I also use detrivores in sandbed to recycle detritus into live food using the microbial loop to feed flame scallops and sea apples as well as ornamental sponges.

All of this substrate is 1-2mm of aroggonite.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does, I just don't understand why it is referenced as such but appears nowhere on the bags. Even the Caribsea website uses the term but the image it displays does not. It's bizarre.

Yeah I thought that too. Maybe they changed the name at some point ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back