CaribSea vs. Nature's Ocean?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cassian
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2018
Messages
2,389
Reaction score
1,710
Location
MO
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,
I will be setting up my dream tank in a few months and was getting prices on the things I will need. I will be putting black sand in my new tank and was wondering if the brand I buy really matters. I bought Nature's Ocean for my current tank and have been really happy with it. CaribSea is cheaper, but is it as good? Just wondering if any of you prefer a certain brand. does CaribSea instant cycle like Nature's Ocean does?
 
I hear people talk about both. For me, Nature’s Ocean is the only thing my LFS sells so that’s what I got. I’ve set up a few tanks with it and it turns out fine. I think you will be ok either way.
 
I doubt there’s much difference between the two.

The most important criteria when buying sand for me is the size of the grains. depending on how much flow you plan to have in your tank.
 
Just be aware that some of the black sand is magnetic. Can be a problem if you use a mag cleaner.
 
Just be aware that some of the black sand is magnetic. Can be a problem if you use a mag cleaner.

I didn’t know that. Thanks! I have black sand now and noticed that sometimes the grain does get under the magnet. Never knew it was magnetic though
 
I’d just pick whichever had a grain size you were looking for. Also, neither will really do much to help as far as cycling goes.
 
I hear people talk about both. For me, Nature’s Ocean is the only thing my LFS sells so that’s what I got. I’ve set up a few tanks with it and it turns out fine. I think you will be ok either way.
Did it instant cycle and add a fish right away? I somehow got both delivered and caribe sea figi pink i prettier to me. Well, actually nature ocean is really pretty but has huge grain size in the 8 lb one they sent me , claim to be 0.5 to 1;7, must be the 1.7 that makes such a huge difference caribe sea is up to 1.5
 
natures ocean claims instant cycle and caribe sea says fater cycling. I did read they were different somehow and have to add biospira to caribe sea or cycle with pnemonia I think
 
I would not worry about cycling with the sand that’s where the rock comes in. . The most important thing is too rinse the sand. Just rinse it with tap wate I used a hose. Then do a final rinse in RODI. Then add your own bacteria. Huge thread in sand rinsing
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new