Carnation tree coral

rjcranor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DI picked up this coral and was advised to keep it in low light, so I placed it in a shaded area in my tank. So far it's not doing well, I looked it up and see it's supposed to be fed phytoplankton daily and recommend medium to high flow. Is there any other suggestions, or what is best way to feed it?

peterthegamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say expose it too some light. I would say medium lighting. They do like flow and remeber to feed your corals.

OP
OP
rjcranor

rjcranor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did move it out a few days ago so it's getting light, hasn't improved. It had 2 separate sections on a rock the small section appears to be dying off. The top piece had turned brown and has come off!

OP
OP
rjcranor

rjcranor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2012-12-29_17-36-54_24.jpg
This is what it looked like shortly after I got it!

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sadly these corals are extremely hard to keep alive in our closed systems, in nearly two years of reading build threads, I came across one tank on another forum that was able to keep these, and he did so by pumping fresh salt water into his tank several times a day. and when I say fresh salt water I mean right out of the ocean.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sadly these corals are extremely hard to keep alive in our closed systems.

+1. Extremely tough to keep in aquariums. My guess is that they need pristine water with nearly constant phytoplankton feeding which is nearly possible in a tank. Absolutely beautiful corals though.

OP
OP
rjcranor

rjcranor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information, well at least I'll still have a nice rock to place corals on!

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its not gone yet don't give up! I would do a nice water change and feed phyto a few times a day and watch your water quality. You'd be supprised what corals can come back from. And if it doesn't melt build your own phyto reactor. Super cheap and even easier to do!

OP
OP
rjcranor

rjcranor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a water change, and have been using a 2 liter bottle with the bottom cut out to be a dome over it and putting the phytoplankton in it!

OP
OP
rjcranor

rjcranor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the phytoplankton reactor, does it require a sump? I don't have one I have a fluval canister and a reef octopus Skimmer . I have sicce voyager 3 power heads for circulation!

peterthegamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it looking? Make sure to dip the coral too! If you could send it back to the store and ask them to hold it for a few days until you system is sorted.

OP
OP
rjcranor

rjcranor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system? My parameters are fine, although my nitrates is up not sure if it's from dosing it with plankton

OP
OP
rjcranor

rjcranor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the bottle to shield it from the flow, then use a dropper to insert phytoplankton.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a 1 or 2 liter bottle, cut the bottom off and remove the lid. Place the bottle over the coral and then squirt your phytoplankton into the bottle, quickly putting the lid back on the bottle. The phyto will remain trapped in the bottle, with the Carnation Coral, allowing the coral to eat.

Moving it into more light will do no good at all. These corals are non-photosynthetic. It does need high flow though.

Unfortunately, these are very difficult corals to keep and should be left in the ocean.

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Scleronypthya, pretty sure, it's hard to tell when it is closed up and with this picture. The most difficult to keep in my experience. It requires almost constant feeding, it will eat other things besides photo. I had one I kept for 7 months feeding it cyclopeeze every hour. It does require a lot of flow to open up. You can blast it and it will be happy. If it is not opening up then you don't have enough flow or it is already starved. They are beautiful when they open up!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rjcranor

rjcranor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm doing with the bottle as I mentioned earlier, I have a 2 liter I'm using. If I put more flow on it it will start blowing out my sand. I had it placed in a cove like area but then it doesn't get as much flow!

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm doing with the bottle as I mentioned earlier, I have a 2 liter I'm using. If I put more flow on it it will start blowing out my sand. I had it placed in a cove like area but then it doesn't get as much flow!

Well, that is an issue that needs attention. I'm just telling you it needs a lot of flow. Watch your water quality until your tank adjusts to that much feeding. A bump in the nitrates or phosphates and the Coral will die. Ohhh the challenge of those crazy beautiful Azoox corals. I went hard core for two years. I installed a auto feeding system that fed the tank every hour from a fridge. Got busy at work so moved my tank to the decidedly easier SPS. Most people laugh when I say that but it is true. Azoox corals are not easy but there is nothing like a tank full of them.

OP
OP
rjcranor

rjcranor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lfs didn't mention it was a hard coral to keep otherwise I would not have gotten it, I tested my water 2 days ago and nitrates were at 10. First time I've had that,. I have sicce voyager power heads and have them dialed down to keep from blowing my sand around. Right now it's in a decent current, you can see it moving around a bit!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back