carpet anemone tank mates

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tanks mates that are better suited for carpet anemone than others? Not counting clownfish. I only have 2 ocellaris clowns, a royal gramma, a yellow tang, and a mandarin. Also have a few hermits and snails, and sea cucumber. The yellow tang is one I hate to lose, but I will probably take the risk. Also I could possibly move something if it is at higher risk.

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like to know as well....i am in a similar situation with my carpet nem....right now i only have 2 clarkii's hosting in 72gal bow

it was mentioned to me in another post that a kole tang could work but in your case not so sure how he'd handle being with that yellow tang

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fish with a carpet is subject to being stung, killed, and possibly eaten. It is a risk one takes with carpet nems. Some are worse then others on their sting and ability to "seem" to catch fish.

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is mine....my carpet ate: 3 green chromis, 1 tomatoe clown, and 1 serpent star (i actually witnessed this one....the others i never found the bodies so i am assuming)

Reefmon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with inverts instead of fish. I have an anemone tank with 5 sexy shrimp, an anemone shrimp and crabs. They all bring a lot of life in the tank

pooliap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we put a sexy shrimp , are sexy shrimp will fight with peppermint shrimp ? anyone have experienced it ?

OP
OP
big deddy

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cucumber is my only concern as the kids love him. But almost everything I have ever read, said sea cucs have very very few predators

OP
OP
big deddy

big deddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this is living on the edge, mandarin style.
20151231_074542.jpg

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned many carpets including gigantea and haddoni. The only time I seen an anemone tried to eat one of my fish is when it died and floated into a mini maxi and my gigantea. Other than that, healthy fish usually are smart enough to stay away from them. It's usually smaller fish like mandarins that are susceptible to being eaten imo. My flame wrasses and tang swim under my green gig every day lol.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen carpet anemones eat many fish healthy or not.
Certain fish have a greater chance of being eaten though.
Mainly skittish fish like anthias and firefish etc. fish that are chased allot by bullies. I have had my maxi minis catch firefish several times. I do not keep them anymore.

Tangs seem to like to harass clownfish and get too close sometimes. My Tang has been stung allot.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back