Cassian's 32 gallon biocube build- Diving back in

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and thanks for checking out my build thread! I'm super excited to be getting back into reefing! About two years ago i had to sell out my 180 build to go off to college, but now i think i'm at a point where i can start getting my feet wet again.... literally. I had been thinking about reefing for a while now, but when i visited my LFS with a friend yesterday i made a spontaneous purchase that seal my decision to get back into the hobby. I noticed a really dirty tank covered in cob webs tucked under the counter at the LFS, but i recognized it to be a coralife 32gal biocube. Long story short, i snagged this beauty of a tank for only $35 (i'm quite proud of that haha). After about an hour of cleaning, i had this tank looking brand new. I got it plumbed up with an extra pump i still had laying around and filled it with water. and so begins my journey back into the reefing hobby!

image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

everything for aqua scaping and setting it up should be coming in this week, so stay tuned for updates. my plan for this tank is LPS and SPS dominat reef.
My current stocking list ideas:
clownfish pair (mocha storms? gladiators?)
blue dot jawfish
scarlet cleaner shrimp
firefish or chromis group
mandarins later on?

if anyone has any cool stocking ideas id love to hear!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice little tank! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: Thanks for bringing us along on your journey- I do love a good nano tank. Happy reefing!

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress has been made!! I got my BRS order in yesterday with everything I needed to start this bad boy up. Sand and salt is in, filtration is set up and I got the light in yesterday so I went ahead and mounted that. It’s not programmed yet cause the cord I had apparently doesn’t wanna connect my computer to my radion :(. I’ve got some trouble shooting to do there, but at least I’ve got the ball rolling and things are progressing steadily! Over the weekend I’m working on my aquascape and next week protein skimmer and cycling additives are coming

For filtration I did an initial prefilter, bioballs, two densities of aqua mesh, and then biological media in the very last stage. Maybe a tad bit much but I always like a lot of different kinds of filtration and I am a big fan of bio media. Now to figure out where the protein skimmer will hang…..

IMG_0109.jpeg

IMG_0100.jpeg
IMG_0110.jpeg
IMG_0137.jpeg

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a biocube 32g, too! They're great AIO's. Looking forward to following your build!

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmer is and water cleared up! I went with the aquamaxx bullet for my skimmer. Had to saw off one of the hinges for the original lid to get it to fit, but I think I got it.

I also added a gyre Xf 330 that I had, but I’m not sure if this may be too powerful for this tank haha! Gonna try it at like 10-20% power and see how it goes.

Started my cycle with algae barn nitrogen fixation bacteria and Fritz turbo start. Gonna let it sit for a bit then think about doing CUC and maybe a fish to get the process rolling.

Attachments

• IMG_0206.jpeg
    IMG_0206.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0236.jpeg
    IMG_0236.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 52

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Protein skimmer is and water cleared up! I went with the aquamaxx bullet for my skimmer. Had to saw off one of the hinges for the original lid to get it to fit, but I think I got it.

I also added a gyre Xf 330 that I had, but I’m not sure if this may be too powerful for this tank haha! Gonna try it at like 10-20% power and see how it goes.

Started my cycle with algae barn nitrogen fixation bacteria and Fritz turbo start. Gonna let it sit for a bit then think about doing CUC and maybe a fish to get the process rolling.
Love the aquascape!

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update! I’ve added some snails and a few hermit crabs who I’ve been feeding some algae wafers for now until algae kicks in. I think I’m going to add a fish soon since things seem to be going well. Also got my light programmed, I used the WWC mixed reef tank template for now

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 45

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update! I’ve added some snails and a few hermit crabs who I’ve been feeding some algae wafers for now until algae kicks in. I think I’m going to add a fish soon since things seem to be going well. Also got my light programmed, I used the WWC mixed reef tank template for now
looking great!! :D Hey how did you build up the scape? I’m about to go from a BC14 to a 32, and will definitely need to learn to build upwards… TIA

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a special place in my heart for those biocubes! I like what you have going on with the skimmer and rockwork. I"d just be worried about the rockwork in the rear right side being so close to the top of the water line. Other than that awesome! looking forward to seeing it take shape!

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking great!! :D Hey how did you build up the scape? I’m about to go from a BC14 to a 32, and will definitely need to learn to build upwards… TIA

Thanks! It was a lot of strings and tying things up while it dried haha! I used a combination of BRS super glue gel and Marco rocks cement. The glue doesn’t really hold much but it helps with the overall stability. Start with your base then use string and boxes to hold up your tall and shelf parts while the cement dries. The biggest thing is do it in pieces over a few days and don’t get in a hurry. I cemented several of the log arch/arm pieces separate then attached them to the big piece later. Hope that helps and good luck!!

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a special place in my heart for those biocubes! I like what you have going on with the skimmer and rockwork. I"d just be worried about the rockwork in the rear right side being so close to the top of the water line. Other than that awesome! looking forward to seeing it take shape!

Thank you! Yeah I was also concerned about the really tall part at the water line, I got a little carried away with the height lol. So far it hasn’t gotten above the water, but I likely won’t put any coral there

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first additions are in! Got some cool clowns that are doing really well. I opted not to qt at this point because I don’t really have a proper qt setup yet and i won’t be able to have a 100% parasite free tank anyway due to some of the fish I want in the future. I may pull these guys out later and do a proper round of de wormers and stuff, but for now they are going to just hang in the display. Algae has also taken off like a weed after the clowns. My CUC is really happy now haha!

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_0325.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

IMG_0321.jpeg

IMG_0342.jpeg

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!! Today is the big day! First corals went in. So far so good. Parameters are holding steady as well. I also got a cool pair of blood red fire shrimp

IMG_0768.jpeg

IMG_0770.jpeg

IMG_0771.jpeg

IMG_0772.jpeg

IMG_0564.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back