Catching my own stuff?

dannyab84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my question is can I go out and catch my own stuff and put it into my tank?? I have fished my whole life and caught lots of rare and expensive fish at reefs all over Florida. However, I'm a very good cast netter and I'm going to be on vacation on an island not far from Tampa next weekend and I love to catch the little guys in the lagoons. I've caught some sepecacular fish with colors from yellow to blue and have never seen in tanks before. So is there any rules or anything on this? I usually get baby flounders and Sutch and know they have limits but, never the weird stuff have limits that I know about. Also is selling them an issue too?

Along with this if there's no rules ill be bringing a tank with me on the trip with a HOB and will take pictures off all the rare fish I catch!

Thanks guys!!
-Dan

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd buy one of there 3 day saltwater fishing license. And after that you should be good. I wouldn't sell them until you're back home and they're settled in. I do this every year in miami. Caught everything from a small tang, to a cow fish.

ingtar_shinowa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also check the Florida restricted list. I know that different regions in Florida have unique restriction and season bag limits and such. Also I would do some semi-intense research of the local fish and know what you are getting into. Most Caribbean fish look great as little juveniles then turn ugly, in both coloration and especially personality.

OP
OP
dannyab84

dannyab84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this quote from the article and I was wondering if this is valid after certain amount of time. "Sale of recreationally caught marine life organisms is prohibited". caught marine After an amount of time would it just be considered like a marine aquarium fish that I own or would it always be a recreational captured fish?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back