Catfish's frag tank build

Catfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I wanted to make a build thread for a couple of reasons. First, I hope to share some useful information with those that may be perusing this thread. Second, I hope others will chime in with helpful suggestions for me. Perhaps we can discuss pros and cons of various techniques from time to time. We know there are hundreds of ways to be successful at growing coral so I always enjoy learning new things. Lastly, I’m hoping this thread will be a journal of the progress I make with this system. I’m not sure if anyone really cares to read another “build thread,” but at least I can look back at the ups, downs, and various decisions I made along the way.

I realize the first part of this is rather long. It’s basically the journey of me becoming a full SPS addict. You can skip it if you’d like, but it’s fun for me to look back. The story is similar to many of yours, I’m sure you will relate. It goes something like this: Someone gives you your first frag for free and you get hooked. You need more frags, then more colorful frags, then different types of colorful frags, then you drive hours to get new frags, then you take out a second mortgage on your house to get more frags… in no time, you’ve become a full on addict. Most of us have been there (ok, maybe not the second mortgage part, but you get the point).

To let you know a little about my background in aquarium keeping, I started with a 60 gallon freshwater system about 10 years ago. I had a lot of fun watching the fish swim by and got excited every time I added new fish. $10 on a new fish was a lot of money. It was a basic set up, pretty much a glass box with water, fish, and fake plants, but it was fun.

After a couple of years of that, I made a big mistake and went snorkeling in Hawaii. I had no idea that snorkeling trip was going to result in thousands of dollars spent to keep a piece of the ocean in my own home one day. Once I returned form that trip to Hawaii, my freshwater tank looked so dull. I decided it was time to make the switch to saltwater.

Like many of you, I started with a FOWLR system. It was only 30 gallons, with a HOB skimmer/filter. I had no idea what coral was all about and didn’t care because the fish I kept were beautiful. I had a damsel, a clown fish, a fire fish, and a royal gramma. I didn’t think it could get any better. I loved staring at the sand bed at night watching all the critters come out and crawl around. It was an entire eco system in my very own bedroom.
IMAG0253.jpg
new 089.JPG
purple firefish 047 - Copy.JPG

After about 4 years of that, I eventually decided that 30 gallons wasn’t enough (I know none of you have ever been there right?). I upgraded to a 55 gallon tank. I also started to notice the coral at the LFS’s and thought, “hmm maybe I should give them a shot.” So, I went full reef on that setup. I researched for months and months and designed and built the system all by myself. From drilling the glass, designing the sump baffles and siliconing them in, to plumbing the system. It was my first system with a sump. I was so happy with how it came out and was proud to show it off to anyone that cared to look at it. Most people don’t get excited about gate valves, check valves, or overflows, but I put so much effort and thought into that build I couldn’t help but be excited about the end result.
20130317_170549.jpg

At that point, I knew I wanted to keep coral, but initially my main focus was still the fish. I added a wrasse, some anthias, a small blue tang, and a small yellow tang. Any time I sat in front of the tank I was transported to Hawaii. When I went to the LFS I got that excited feeling, thinking I may get a good deal on the next fish I had planned to introduce.
DSC06635.JPG

My first coral only entered the tank because I went to buy some live rock from a fellow hobbyist. One of the pieces of rock I was going to buy had some pulsing xenia and Kenya tree on it. He told me they were hardy and would do great in my system. I was so excited to take them home. Now that I think about it, he was kind of rude for not warning me about the plague status both of these corals could reach. In any case, to my astonishment (and to no surprise to everyone who’s ever kept these weeds in their tank) they took off!
20130725_173629.jpg

From there, more softies entered the tank.
20130725_173216.jpg

They all did well so I added some LPS.
20131211_214521.jpg

As you can imagine, the coral got more and more attention and the fish became pretty coral feeders after a while. (Don’t get me wrong I still love the fish, but most of the fish selections come about because they have a job to do on the reef now.) Form there it was an easy transition/slippery slope to SPS. The SPS became more and more challenging and more and more expensive species.
20150920_210238.jpg

The 55 gallon system was doing a great job at growing coral. Color was never where I wanted it, but hey, we’re all striving for something. I had that system for about 4 years, but I ended up moving from Oregon back to southern California. So, I sold everything. I regret that now, but at the time it was the easiest thing to do.
IMG_0188.jpg

(By the way, the Pacific North West is full of some of the nicest reefers imaginable. I attended many Pacific North West Marine Aquarium Society meetings and met some awesome people. I highly recommend PNWMAS for anyone in that area looking for other awesome, talented, generous, and cool reef keepers.)
FB_IMG_1502302487147.jpg

It was a pretty common progression, freshwater, saltwater, FOWLR, softies, LPS, and now SPS (although I still love the softies and LPS). I guess the next step is propagation and distribution. I have no plans to actually make any money or anything. My goal is to give away to and trade with other hobbyists in my local area (Menifee, California).

All of that back story brings me to this current build. I knew when I moved back to CA that I would be putting another system together, but I’m not quite ready for the 300 gallon dream build in the house so I started with a frag tank in the garage.

Most of it is actually already built, but I am going to go back to the beginning and document various steps along the way. Once I get to the present state of the system this thread will be more of an ongoing journal. I hope some of you get something out of this, but if not, I’m sure it will be fun for me. So, hopefully you’ll follow along. Feel free to give me your input, but be nice, we all have stuff to learn. I have had some success, but I by no means see myself as an expert or authority in reef keeping.

The next post will actually be related to this current build, but as a teaser, it is a 70 gallon frag tank. Stay tuned (or don't, the choice is really yours)!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome background! Thanks for sharing your story. Looking forward to following the build!!

OP
OP
Catfish2

Catfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved back to California, I knew I wanted to start another build, but with a 6 month old, buying a new house and starting a new job a fancy display tank seemed a little out of my reach. So, I decided I would do a frag tank in the garage.

I looked around for frag tanks, new and used and settled on the ZooMed Low boy.
https://zoomed.com/50-gallon-low-boy-frag-tank/

It looked like a great option at a great price. However, I was in a LFS when I randomly saw this tank.
IMG_0230.jpg

The owner sold it to me for $100 basically what I had planned on spending for the Low Boy. It's 48x24x14. That comes out to 70 gallons. Prefect for a frag tank!

I then turned my attention to the sump. I knew I wanted a relatively large volume and since it didn’t have to fit under the stand I wasn’t too limited. I found a 100 g Rubbermaid water container at tractor supply, but then I realized baffles might be a little more difficult. So, I went to Petco to see what they had during their 1 per gallon sale. Previously the largest tanks they would do for the $1 per gallon were 55g, but they started to include 75 gallon tanks as well. It was hard to come by one, but eventually I found one. It turned out that it had a small chip in the upper corner. I pointed it out to the manager and convinced him that no one else would buy it. He ended up giving it to me for $25.
IMG_0236.jpg

So there it is. I had the bones of a build.
IMG_20170803_172008_250.jpg

OP
OP
Catfish2

Catfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next, I made a list of all the equipment I would need and I started to collect it. My brother had an extra protein skimmer, a mag 24, and a BRS reactor that he gave me. They all got a nice vinegar bath and scrubbing.
IMG_0243.jpg

I did some shopping around for all the remaining equipment. There was a real focus on trying to keep cost down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Catfish2

Catfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pump:

I ended up going with a Danner Supreme Mag 24 because my brother had it lying around and I didn’t have to pay anything for it.
supreme-classic-magnetic-drive-water-pump.jpg

It umps 2400 gph, but with 3 feet of head that goes down to 1710 gph. I didn’t do any calculations to determine how much more flow was restricted by the plumbing, but I guess it would be about 10 times the total water volume per hour. Typically I shoot for a lower turnover rate of about 5 times per hour, but the pump was free.

I also did some interesting plumbing off the return. There is a manifold with 3 outlets and a spray bar that spans the length of the tank with an elbow to a pipe that goes down and supports the spray bar on the opposite end of the tank. So, with all that, I actually have no idea how often the water is being turned over. In any case, I’m sure it’s sufficient.
IMG_0257.jpg

I will say this pump is loud. The impeller had a small chip in the ceramic shaft so I bought a new one thinking that was causing the noise. The new one was just as loud and I quickly chipped the shaft on it as well. The magnet is so strong on this pump that it pulled the impeller in really fast and chipped the ceramic. The chip did not make anything louder. Fortunately this tank is in the garage so sound is not much of an issue, but this would not cut it for a tank in the house.

I got a silicone dish drying mat and cut it into rectangles to place under the pump. That helps dampen some of the sound, but not much.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back