Caulerpa suddenly has more white tips some orange on leaves and end of stem growth.

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had caulerpa serulata in my 20 gallon high for years it now suddenly has white a little orange on some of the tips of the leaves and white/clear translucent/orange on the end of the growth points. Is this just normal or is it a sign of a nutrient deficiency? I have been attempting a few changes in the last month including throwing on a different light which is equal if not better to the old one plus I have been attempting to bring up my alkalinity. I can't figure it out my calcium is about 410-420 and magnesium is about 1100 pH about 8.0-8.2 the alk is at 5.5 though! I have been trying to manually dose kent marine pro buffer DKH 5ml the last couple days and it has done little if anything maybe brought it up from 5.5-5.7 if that.... I did a small water change the other day too which didn't seem to help the Alk either. Id rather not replace all the water in the tank that's why im dosing. Do you think if I added protein skimmer junk from my other tank that it would raise the Nutrients allowing better growth for the caulerpa the tank has no nitrate and phosphate reading because whenever its available its used.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had caulerpa serulata in my 20 gallon high for years it now suddenly has white a little orange on some of the tips of the leaves and white/clear translucent/orange on the end of the growth points. Is this just normal or is it a sign of a nutrient deficiency? I have been attempting a few changes in the last month including throwing on a different light which is equal if not better to the old one plus I have been attempting to bring up my alkalinity. I can't figure it out my calcium is about 410-420 and magnesium is about 1100 pH about 8.0-8.2 the alk is at 5.5 though! I have been trying to manually dose kent marine pro buffer DKH 5ml the last couple days and it has done little if anything maybe brought it up from 5.5-5.7 if that.... I did a small water change the other day too which didn't seem to help the Alk either. Id rather not replace all the water in the tank that's why im dosing. Do you think if I added protein skimmer junk from my other tank that it would raise the Nutrients allowing better growth for the caulerpa the tank has no nitrate and phosphate reading because whenever its available its used.

Can you post all of your water pramameters?

What test kits are you using?

Discontinue using the buffer. You can add alkalinity by using baking soda in solution.

Use Randy's recipe #2. Dose it using this calculator:

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Raise it only 1 DKH a day till its where you want it.

OP
OP
thoeffe

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post all of your water pramameters?

What test kits are you using?

Discontinue using the buffer. You can add alkalinity by using baking soda in solution.

Use Randy's recipe #2. Dose it using this calculator:

Raise it only 1 DKH a day till its where you want it.
Whats the difference between the liquid buffer im using and baking soda? I have another type that's in a powder form called superbuffer dkh with ingredients carbonate bicarbonate and borate salts which I know baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. I was given it by a relative who got out of reefing so figured id use it. But if its no good ill use baking soda. Just curious.

Salifert test kit.

OP
OP
thoeffe

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The website you linked to for the calculator doesn't work. I click calculate and it shows nothing.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes alk is low, and so is mag.
Mag should be 1200 to 1600, although 1250-1350 is ideal.
Macros consume magnesium, so if you have fuge you should be checking. If you have one big enough that you do lil to no water changes, you should be checking and dosing. Without magnesium upwards of 1200 keeping alk stable is challenging

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short they are costly and add unwanted ingredients to your tank.

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is much cheaper and adds nothing else to your water pramameters. Just DKH.

Here's that link again:

falc

If I die today, I die a happy man.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the great info you have already been given, you may also want to read the article by Randy Holmes-Farley here where he discusses pH and macroalgae. Here is the full link http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-10/rhf/index.php

This is a really good article and helped me understand the relationship with pH and macroalgae photosynthesis.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside of the DKH issues @thoeffe is experiencing, the issue of the caulerpa losing color could be the lack of nutrients.

What is your N03 and P04 at?

OP
OP
thoeffe

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside of the DKH issues @thoeffe is experiencing, the issue of the caulerpa losing color could be the lack of nutrients.

What is your N03 and P04 at?
ill check levels again in a few minutes. The link works but when I type in the numbers and click calculate it does nothing.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill check levels again in a few minutes. The link works but when I type in the numbers and click calculate it does nothing.

You have to select water volume and enter that value. Then enter current alk, then desired alk, then pick a a product from the drop down menu and select "Randy's recipe 2 alkalinity part and then calculate.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link works, you must be leaving a field out
The tank/water volume is on top, then you fill out one row going diwn

OP
OP
thoeffe

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, didn't notice it was a drop down menu. Why Randy's recipe #2 for dosing baking soda and not just the baking soda option? Is there a difference?

OP
OP
thoeffe

thoeffe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also am I understanding it right that calcium will drop when i raise alk because the calcium binds with the carbonate in baking soda and that would form calcium carbonate and like form a piece of sand or something? but that magnesium helps keep them separate?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also am I understanding it right that calcium will drop when i raise alk because the calcium binds with the carbonate in baking soda and that would form calcium carbonate and like form a piece of sand or something? but that magnesium helps keep them separate?

You are right on the part about calcium & alkalinity being interconnected in Dynamic Equilibrium. Considering how carbon dioxide gas uses carbonate alkalinity to produce bicarbonate alkalinity that when coupled to photosynthesis forms glucose which is carbon for the reef. Alkalinity is a moving target as is calcium in a reef tank. I never test for calcium as aroggonite substrate is a passive source of alkalinity buffering and calcium addiction.

Calcium & Magnesium are very similar in how they combine in crystalline structure: dolomite & aroggonite are classic examples and will occur naturally in close proximity of each other.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back