Cause for concern?

daverush95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tomini tang that was in QT for 4 weeks and has been in the display for 3 and he's started to show these white spots on him. It doesn't seem like ich but almost seems like bruising. Can anyone tell me what may be going on? He also has what looks to be a white clump on his tailfin. Very small but still noticeable.

PXL_20230602_013547444.jpg

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The marks might be aggression. What other tank mates share the tank . The white spots on fins maybe Lymphocystis virus. Just a guess tho

OP
OP
D

daverush95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The marks might be aggression. What other tank mates share the tank . The white spots on fins maybe Lymphocystis virus. Just a guess tho
The other tank mates are:
2 clowns
1 watchman goby
1 coral beauty angel

Nothing has shown any signs of aggression and the coral beauty and tang hang out together all day. I'm attaching a clearer picture to see if that helps at all

Attachments

• PXL_20230602_200809864.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230602_200809864.MP.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
D

daverush95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also mention the tang is acting completely normal. Swimming and breathing is fine and he's eating normally

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Tomini tang that was in QT for 4 weeks and has been in the display for 3 and he's started to show these white spots on him. It doesn't seem like ich but almost seems like bruising. Can anyone tell me what may be going on? He also has what looks to be a white clump on his tailfin. Very small but still noticeable.

The main concern - is that it's hard to see exactly the morphology holding it like that - is there any way you could take a side on picture. It does look like aggression - as someone else said - as compared to a disease (or injury).

OP
OP
D

daverush95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main concern - is that it's hard to see exactly the morphology holding it like that - is there any way you could take a side on picture. It does look like aggression - as someone else said - as compared to a disease (or injury).
I posted a picture on a comment above. Does that one help at all?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as it's acting normal, the lesions are not worsening, and there is no redness, etc or other symptoms - I would watch. @Weeb suggested in another post feeding a beta gluten - which may be helpful - maybe he will weigh in?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

These are mucus cones and often associated with previous protozoan, stress and often a skin irritation in which the fish produces skin cells with protective mucus which instead of growing along the body, rises as a mucus cone or a plug. Many resort to Hypo salinity which is not favored but quarantine in copper often will.

OP
OP
D

daverush95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are mucus cones and often associated with previous protozoan, stress and often a skin irritation in which the fish produces skin cells with protective mucus which instead of growing along the body, rises as a mucus cone or a plug. Many resort to Hypo salinity which is not favored but quarantine in copper often will.
Is he going to be ok to leave in the display and it's something he'll get over? Or I definitely need to pull him and throw him in QT?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is he going to be ok to leave in the display and it's something he'll get over? Or I definitely need to pull him and throw him in QT?
They are (Seem to be - EDIT) injuries - I don't know about 'mucus cones' - which I always assumed/thought were smaller. However - without infection - and assuming the fish does not require further QT (i.e. you're doing the protocol) - I would not do anything different,

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Can you post a pic of fish in the water and under white lighting? Its hard to pinpoint many issues with a fish out of water which is not recommended
This is not a dietary issue and may be skin reaction

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call those “halos” - areas of blanched skin. This can be caused by ich trophonts, flukes, turbellarians or even bite marks.
What did you treat the fish for while it was in quarantine? That would help me rule out some causes.
Jay

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are very large white areas. Like Jay wrote, can be a number of things. A video longer than one minute under white light up close to the fish, showing both sides of the fish would be helpful. You can upload the video to YouTube then post the link to it here.

As previously written, out-of-the-water photos are not as helpful as seeing a video of the fish in water. Tangs generally have a thinner mucous coating than other fish, so handling this or any fish in this way doesn't help maintain their mucous coating.

If I'm seeing it correctly, the fin has what may be Lymphocystis, adding to the 'picture' that this fish has been or is, under stress.

Since the fish is eating, help the fish by improving its immunity and ability to heal wounds by adding supplements for an ill fish to its diet as recommended in the Fish Health Trough Proper Nutrition post. Use especially Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan.

We are all waiting for more information. :)

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back