Causes of Zoa morphing

  • Thread starter Thread starter kireek
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Joined
Jul 7, 2012
Messages
3,359
Reaction score
3,661
Location
Oregon
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know when a coral has morphed? I am thinking I would have to frag the colony,move the pieces into different systems and then observe the new growth.Are there ways to encourage morphing in zoas and palys?Below are two pictures of Mind Blowing Palys;

DSCF7013.jpg

What I believe to be a morph-
DSCF9991.jpg
 
I don't believe the photos you posted are exactly a morph, more s a change to conditions in flow/lighting. Now I have seen morphs between two different zoas that grow near eachother, although this is very rare.
 
I don't believe the photos you posted are exactly a morph, more s a change to conditions in flow/lighting. Now I have seen morphs between two different zoas that grow near eachother, although this is very rare.
Thanks for the input.Just to clarify,both of these frags were grown out from the same mother colony and are in the same system.Different areas of the tank though.
 
Ones a paly one is a zoa as per the amount of paly toxin
There's no way the same ones just difrent grow out
 
Thanks for the input.Just to clarify,both of these frags were grown out from the same mother colony and are in the same system.Different areas of the tank though.

Sounds about right, even a few inches deeper or higher in a tank can cause a world of difference, this is easily seen more often in acros. I'll try to find some pictures of actual morphs I've seen.
 
Sounds about right, even a few inches deeper or higher in a tank can cause a world of difference, this is easily seen more often in acros. I'll try to find some pictures of actual morphs I've seen.
I would be very interested in seeing those,thanks PaulKreider!
 
Ill try to get pics but i fragged up some common whammin watermelons and some of the new polyps look like radioactive dragons eyes.. i have no idea what caused it
 
Bump for morphs.
Below,not a true morph.The three spokes is always cool while it lasts.
DSCF4762.JPG
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new