Caution using Bio Advanced on SPS

reef_daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As most of you know, the Bayer brand is no longer available and has been rebranded as Bio Advanced. I’ve been using the Bio Advance on all of the corals I’ve stocked my tank with over the past 6 months and I’ve had some casualties. Basically what I’ve found is that pretty much all of my LPS were fine being dipped. But generally all of my SPS showed signs of stress after dipping. Best case, for things like montipora and chalices, they brown out in color. But all of my branching coral have both browned out, and lost tissue. Here are some pictures to show as proof of my most recent purchase. It was a pink lemonade frag.

IMG_6158.JPG

For reference, this is it in the LFS. (Sorry for the quality)

IMG_6159.JPG

This is about an hour after the Bio Advance dip.

IMG_6165.JPG

This is 24 hours after the dip.

It has lost 99% of its tissue since, but I was able to salvage one small branch tip so I’m hoping that will eventually grow.

Either way, I wanted to at least document my experience. Chime in if you’re experiencing anything different.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's worrisome if true.
How are you using it? Concentration and duration?
Also does your bottle's ingredient list last match this from my bottle of Bayer?

IMG_6597.jpg

Reef_A_Lot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ratio are you using and how long do you keep them in dip? I dipped everything in Bayer (new formula) and haven’t any problems (fingers crossed).

OP
OP
reef_daddy

reef_daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So went to take a picture of the ingredients list and I noticed that they were in fact different. I double checked the type of Bio Advance that I bought and it turns out that I bought the Complete Insect Killer for SOIL & TURF.

The Soil & Turf version is different.

Lesson learned: pay attention to the details. The bottles are very similar looking.

I’ll pick up the regular Complete Insect Killer and try it on a new SPS and I will report back.

For reference, here is the bottle I was using:

d11552177b843553309ce5d210578abf.jpg

db2b919ce9a54b2d7764cd7cf9842e6a.jpg

Reef_A_Lot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’ll definitely explain it. I honestly almost did the same thing but lucky I recognized it at check out at Lowe’s. Hopefully you won’t lose anymore coral now. Good luck!

Lapras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case anyone else comes across this thread: I called BioAdvanced and they told me NOTHING changed except the labels. The rep also mentioned they slapped a "Kills Mosquitos" sticker as part of marketing... I think the rep mentioned the old Bayer label on the back has mosquitos listed on the list of bugs - can anyone confirm this?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with bige. Anyways the main reason people were using this dip was because it was supposed to kill all acropora eating bugs like red bugs. But lots of people have had all sorts of bugs slip through their dips using this stuff. I have seen nudis stay alive for hours in this stuff. Melafix is strong and clean so you can see what’s on the corals or falling off with no worries of killing tank inhabitants with Bayer residue.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, sorry to go a bit off topic. Just wanted to ask if you guys use this to dip all coral? Why not used one made specifically for reefing, like Coral-rx?

Thank you.

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you folks taking precautionary/safety measures when handling this stuff (e.g. gloves, face masks, etc.)? I hope you are.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use melafix pond...much better. It’s clear like others have said. Switched and never looked back

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back