CBB in Quarantine not eating... Help

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So I got a CBB last week as he’s in my QT tank. For the first couple days I made sure he was eating I had him on frozen Mysis and brine, and blackworms and he was eating no problem like a pig. I’m on a Schedule to ramp up copper power of a 5 day period slowly to therapeutic level. I’m on day 4 now and this morning was the 2nd feeding that the copperband did not eat when I attempted to feed him. He looks pretty normal maybe a little finicky like quick movements as he swims. I’m doing water changes to control ammonia also.
Any idea on what may be going on should I be worried?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not like the copper?

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s literally letting me touch him with the feeding syringe that he was petrified of the last few days. Should I stop the copper treatment?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not unusual but watch copper level. My CBB eating machine was qt a week at .75, not full strength
Salinity sensitive also
1.024-1.025 at 77-79 degrees

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not unusual but watch copper level. My CBB eating machine was qt a week at .75, not full strength
Salinity sensitive also
1.024-1.025 at 77-79 degrees
What copper are you using? I’m using copper power and the minimum therapeutic level is 1.5. I’m at 1.12 now and this CBB doesn’t seem too happy I’m nervous to continue especially if he’s not eating

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What copper are you using? I’m using copper power and the minimum therapeutic level is 1.5. I’m at 1.12 now and this CBB doesn’t seem too happy I’m nervous to continue especially if he’s not eating
Seachem cupramine

E8BEEC04-AD89-4C4D-A28E-83C1711F450E.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me out here, I could have sworn that Cupramine full dose is 0.50 mg/l

Edit - I see you said copper power, nevermind!

Jay

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand that is the therapeutic level for Cupramine. However I am using copper power and the therapeutic level minimum is 1.5 from the research I gathered!
Sorry - I was reading too fast, and had just responded to a Cupramine question!

So - is the CBB breathing rapidly? The big concern for me is that copper toxicity mimics some protozoan disease symptoms. You are at a sub-therapeutic copper level right now. The million dollar question is - is this a reaction to the copper, or some disease process that is ramping up because you aren't at full copper yet? Also, you said you are doing water changes to manage ammonia - what is the ammonia level running and what test kit are you using?

Jay

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I was reading too fast, and had just responded to a Cupramine question!

So - is the CBB breathing rapidly? The big concern for me is that copper toxicity mimics some protozoan disease symptoms. You are at a sub-therapeutic copper level right now. The million dollar question is - is this a reaction to the copper, or some disease process that is ramping up because you aren't at full copper yet? Also, you said you are doing water changes to manage ammonia - what is the ammonia level running and what test kit are you using?

Jay
No problem Jay I appreciate the help! Well before I started copper he was completely fine. And once copper began by the 3rd day he was acting strange. He is not doing good right now he is swimming into the flow and now he’s sticking himself to the powerhead. I’m doing a full water change to get him out of copper I hope the copper is the issue here. Ammonia I’m using The Seachem Badge because I was told no other test kit will give you a good reading because of the copper. It’s showing slight ammonia but have done a 75% water change since that reading and takes a bit to re-read.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., but monitor its breathing rate, that swimming into the flow isn't a good sign. If you can count the gill beats in 15 seconds and multiply by four, that gives you the rate per minute. For that fish, the rate should be below 100.

Jay

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I definitely will check the breathing rate. I’m doing all I can to try and save this fish. Is it possible the swimming into the flow is from the copper or more like something like velvet or something? @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I definitely will check the breathing rate. I’m doing all I can to try and save this fish. Is it possible the swimming into the flow is from the copper or more like something like velvet or something? @Jay Hemdal
I'm worried because that is a common symptom of velvet, and velvet can live in pretty high copper levels...hopefully I'm wrong.

jay

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm worried because that is a common symptom of velvet, and velvet can live in pretty high copper levels...hopefully I'm wrong.

jay
He is currently out of the copper now I’m going to see how he acts and will get a breathing rate. If he continues with the same activity, should I ramp up copper to high therapeutic levels if I suspect velvet? Also any marking I may notice on the fish if it’s velvet?

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jay
He has every symptom of velvet as I highlighted in the photo :( He currently laying on his side right now he’s unfortunately not going to make it I don’t think. I am believing it is velvet though now after reading this and your information

Breathing Rate 160

496CD1BD-2A4E-4E65-AAD7-1B46CCB82CC7.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - once they go down, there isn't anything to do really. You could try a last ditch FW dip, but it would likely just send it on.

Damage control: any other fish in your QT?

Jay

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - once they go down, there isn't anything to do really. You could try a last ditch FW dip, but it would likely just send it on.

Yea he did not make it already. I can bet my life on it that it was probably velvet. Nope no other fish in QT with him. Tank is completely empty going to do thorough cleaning to it tomorrow.
Thank you for all the help Jay it’s always appreciated!!

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Yea he did not make it already. I can bet my life on it that it was probably velvet. Nope no other fish in QT with him. Tank is completely empty going to do thorough cleaning to it tomorrow.
Thank you for all the help Jay it’s always appreciated!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back